back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

GT8 vs GNX3 vs GNX4 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
davidlow7
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: GT8 vs GNX3 vs GNX4 Reply with quote

Dear guys,

Lately I am about to get a Multi-efx.....

I have studied and read all the stuffs by you guys and I guess GT8 will suit me more compare to the POD XT Live...

But I haven't known much about the GNX3 and GNX4.....

I play jRock, Thrash Metal, Alternative Rock, and for me Distortion tone is important ....

Can you guys state more of your experience with all these 3 effects??? And why you guys prefer them.. etc???

Would like to know more.. hehe

Ultraman... maybe u got some good reviews on the Digitech's Multi??

Hehe thanks

Btw, how much does GNX3 and 4 costs now???
homestar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNX3/4 should be around 1.2k right? I'm sorry, I'm not sure myself.

I think you're spot on about POD XT Live cause they got poor distortion sounds, and quality wise, I don't think its a good bet. Not too sure about GNX3/4 quality, I think there is software editor for it right wrong?

Anyways, GT-8 is a safe bet minus the tweaking and all.
davidlow7
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for amp modelling, I was told that U can't go wrong with the POD XT LIVE.. and infact, I know it is a very very good Multi-efx but after going thru alot of comments, opinions, individual preference.. I have decided GT8 is what gonna suits me more compare to the POD XT LIVE....
However, I was again told yesterday that GNX3 and GNX4 is sthg I should re-consider and re-think before I made a final decision..
danger3s
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homestar wrote:
GNX3/4 should be around 1.2k right? I'm sorry, I'm not sure myself.

I think you're spot on about POD XT Live cause they got poor distortion sounds, and quality wise, I don't think its a good bet. Not too sure about GNX3/4 quality, I think there is software editor for it right wrong?

Anyways, GT-8 is a safe bet minus the tweaking and all.

Are you kidding man? Laughing

Poor dishtoshen yeah? How much do you actually need? haha. Many *(don't bother a quote) people are using them in the studios as a must have tool, so that'd give you an idea how quality-wise good the product is. Fair enough you can't compare them against real amps n pedals but they certainly do not have "poor distortion and not a good bet"Rolling Eyes

I think the question here is not how good they are, but how it'd suit your need and setup. Going straight to amp is obviously not a good go for POD's, whilst a direct recording won't make GT-8 the best choice in the market.

For me choosing a multifx out of the many very excellent crowd is like proposing your girlfriend. If you're willing to accept all the bads and goods and sacrifice some time to get the best out of her, then both of you will have a happy life. Laughing Razz

Anyway, also heard that many users shifted for the new GNX4 when they first came out, but later went back to their multifx like PODxt's and GT8. Wink
IZZI
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, if you want to buy a GNX, go for GNX3000 and forget about GNX3 and GNX4. GNX3K is the best among GNX series. It has very realictic amp modelling. GT8 is excellent but lack of pc usb support compared to GNX3K. You'll have USB recording Interface and mic preamp too in GNX3k. I just bought one and still digging with it. As usual, dont give up until you totally understand how to tweak, means the manual is the most importante..

here a head to head review for

Boss GT8
POD XT Live (w/Model Packs)
ToneLab SE
V-Amp Pro
GNX3000 (I won't deal with the GNX4 because the GNX3K really does trump it in many ways)

http://www.thestompbox.net/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=21
davidlow7
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Izzi...
so how do u compare the GNX3000 features and effects .. with GT8???

Btw, does it have harmonizer?
emmm
danger3s
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious, what is your planned setup?
davidlow7
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planned setup???/

example?
danger3s
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planned setup i.e what will be in the chain, what amp will you use, live or recording.

If your intention is to fully optimize the rig with tons of superb effects and you already had a nice amp to go with it then you won't need any fancy amp modelling machine. Having post fx in the chain would make an fx loop in your multifx to be a good idea. And if you have a resourceful recording setup i.e mics, mixer, DAW, then a reliable direct-recording functionality won't be so necessary.

To this date I only have experience with GT-6 and PODxt Live and I must say they have plus & minus on your preferred setup.
davidlow7
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually using a
Laney Hardcore MXD 120watt....

my guitar juz normal ibanez and a squier stagemaster....
IZZI
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

until now, nothing can compare with gt-8's effects. But gnx3k strength is in amp modelling. It is built for critical listening. Its not only about to produce certain amp sound, but the way you play with the amp, your picking, guitar volume roll off etc.
IZZI
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidlow7 wrote:
I am actually using a
Laney Hardcore MXD 120watt....

my guitar juz normal ibanez and a squier stagemaster....

Laney 120watt? wow thats huge amp.. when you use MFX taht has amp modelling feature, you can bypass your laney preamp.. use the FX return port instead of normal input port in front of the amp. This means, you'll only use the power amp section and the speaker only.
danger3s
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalau apa yang kau nak adelah bunyik of specific amp then using the fx loop of the amp tak berapa sesuai. Boleh dapat, tapi it'll sound like going straight from say Marshall head to laney fx return. Kalau nak stay true to the sound of the amp terpaksalah gune FRFR speaker ataupun cab sahaja, itupun tengok kesesuaian dan kene bypass cab emulation feature.

Personally bagi aku laney 120w tu dah cukup ngam untuk mencapai bunyik yang ko nak, samada aku akan gune duit tu untuk beli analog pedals or aku akan bli GT8. Sebenarnye banyak juga multifx yang offer effects dan feature lebih baik dari gt8 contohnye Axe-fx or various product lines from TC electronics cuma the price sits higher in the league.
davidlow7
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blehbleh wrote:
. Kalau nak stay true to the sound of the amp terpaksalah gune FRFR speaker ataupun cab sahaja, itupun tengok kesesuaian dan kene bypass cab emulation feature.

x brapa paham tentang frfr all that
hehe ada sikit complicated....

yeah bro IZZI.. i beli amp ni sebenarnya i cadang nak buka studio dulu.... tapi lepas tu dah scrap kan plan tu.. jadi skarang pakai untuk diri guna la.. hehehe.. tapi i am happy with this amp la..sebab it is affordable and untuk style saya.. memang sesuai la....
danger3s
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

full range flat response

Jump to: