back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Ridzi....wanna share your recording techiques?? « View previous topic :: View next topic »
Author Message
suicide-by-overdrive
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Ridzi....wanna share your recording techiques?? Reply with quote

Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Location: Petaling Jaya/TTDI Kuala Lumpur

Hello Ridzi,

I've jes' listened to your soundclips....and personally i think it's the best DIY recording effort i've came across so far dlm website nie.(biar betul ko pakai SB live?)
n e way ,YOU ARE AWESOME dude!!So,wanna share some of your sound engineering wisdom?? Wink
_________________
http://suicide-by-overdrive.fotopages.com
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hello suicide,

Thank you for the compliment...Iya....aku pakai SB Live 5.1 Platinum...
It has taken me years of practice and thousands of RM!!! Constantly reading books and learning from experts in the field...

Bila aku dengar recording aku yang awal2 dulu ...man they suck!!

Recording process is simple sebenarnya. program drum track, record guitar...bass etc etc satu satu dalam multitrack (Cubase SX2.0). Yang perit nak buat tu ialah post pruduction. Editing, applying effects, Equalisation, compression, mixing and mastering.

I usually record everything dry (no efx-no reverb, no-echo, no-compression, no-eq). I apply the relevant EFX after everything is recorded. But that's my method. There are no set rules on how you record. Use what works for you.

As a rule of thumb, when recording anything, make sure the sound you set it to is exactly the sound you want. Post production can fine tune the sound, but cannot make a shit sound into a good sound. in other words Bad input=bad output.

An understanding on how the human ears preceive sound and an understanding of the sonic frequency range is fundamental. A good ear for sound is also important. Practice and learn from your mistakes. Be open to critisims is also important. So keep an open mind when listening to opinions. It helps alot!!

/ridzi
Back to top
suicide-by-overdrive
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Location: Petaling Jaya/TTDI Kuala Lumpur

thanx for sharing Smile
U r using pod right? for recording the guitar parts???which amp model u used??
_________________
http://suicide-by-overdrive.fotopages.com
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Yap! aku pakai POD dan Triaxis Pre-amp aku...but I use two settings in combination.

Dirty Sounds:
(POD) Modern High Gain + 1970 Marshall cab (this is the 'grit' of my sound)
(Mesa Boogie Triaxis) Bass 5.1 - Mid 7.2 - Hi 5.5 - Gain 7.5 (this is the 'chunk' of my sound)

Clean Sounds:
Fender Black Panel + No cab simulation
British High Gain + Marshall 4x10

then my signal path is fed into my linear EQ or my 5 band parametric EQ (which ever EQ unit I feel like using) then into my BBE Sonic Maximizer-->Soundcard

Post-production EFX and Settings takleh cakap la...trade secret maaa Razz hehehehe...

/ridzi
Back to top
Bode
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Feb 2004

Ridzi dude..any chance you wanna sell the Tri-Axis? If not recommend me some good midi valve pre-amps out there. I've tried lots from Peavey, Rocktron, Marshall(JMP-1), Digitech etc. etc. Just wanna know your personal favourites, and why you chose tri-axis above everything else?
Back to top
suicide-by-overdrive
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Location: Petaling Jaya/TTDI Kuala Lumpur

Ridzi wrote:

Dirty Sounds:
(Mesa Boogie Triaxis) Bass 5.1 - Mid 7.2 - Hi 5.5 - Gain 7.5 (this is the 'chunk' of my sound)

BBE Sonic Maximizer

Post-production EFX and Settings takleh cakap la...trade secret maaa Razz hehehehe...

/ridzi

kewl.dat triaxis must have cost u a fortune.ko beli kat UK ke?berapa ringgit?

BBE Sonic Maximizer tu ko pakai yg hardware kan?I have the plugin version which i use in Sonar.So,it got me thinking-does the software version produce equal sonic impact as the hardware does?

Yup...we all have trade secrets... Very Happy
_________________
http://suicide-by-overdrive.fotopages.com
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Bode I chose the Triaxis because I have always loved the Mesa chug. It has that ballsy sound. The JMP-1 is cool as well...it has a more 'crunchy' sound so to speak. My analogy between the Triaxis and the JMP-1 would be like comparing Smooth Peanut butter to Crunchy Peanut butter.

I chose the Triaxis because I had the money at the time lol....go figure. Sorry Bode, im not selling it Razz...i love it too much.

Suicide
Yeah, aku pakai the hardware version. I also have the VST. Sonically there is no difference at all, hmnn probably a minute difference due tue manufacturing tolerances.

I bought it here in the UK second-hand for £2000. Thats RM14,000 in Malaysia.
Back to top
Bode
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Feb 2004

Oh yes...here is a history lesson for all of you. Remember this thing called analogue tape?To understand what I'm gonna talk about please do check out my recordings on this site:

http://www.mp3.com.au/Bode'sNoiseBox/

The reason I channelled you this site is because the mp3's there are encoded at 128 kbits, so it sounds a wee bit better...

Anyway, those recordings were made in 1990-1992. Drums were played in real time and sequenced to an Atari computer running Sequencer One Plus. These were then transferred to a budget tascam analogue cassette 4-track machine. Bass/guitars and vocals were added later and bounced(with loss of audio quality) to get more tracks. All the recordings were done by pumping enough levels to saturate the tape without getting 'unwanted' distortion, in order to get the analogue tape compression. Effects were added later at mixdown through efx sends/returns and the efx unit was an Alesis Midiverb 3. Some of the guitar sounds were miked up and some were through the cabinet simulator. Everything was mastered to DAT.

My point is, compared to even the cheapest PC recording setup that you have now, what I used were far far more inferior in quality with little or no flexibility. But I have to admit the results were still CD quality master standard that is 'release ready'(you wont be able to appreciate the true quality by listening to these songs in mp3 format of course). The trick is to learn each different component individually...spend time to know what each control does and take it from there. Understand the physics of sound and how these effects shapes your sound(I am sure Ridzi sacrificed a huge chunk of his life spending time learning and experimenting with all these stuff...we are some very SAD people Ridzi!!!).

So, please don't be disheartened if you havent got this powerhouse PC with the effects rack of doom or whatever...all you need is some preserverence and the will to learn...start modest...master what you have, then move on to better gear. Even a Pentium II PC with an SB soundcard and a decent recording software is still better sounding and more flexible than what I used for those recordings of mine.

So kids...have fun with whatever you have and surprise yourself with the wonders that you can do with your existing setup!
Back to top
Bode
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Feb 2004

Ridzi wrote:
[...]

Quoting bro Ridzi, yes, I live by those rules too..and so do the world's top producers. Well put bro...
Back to top
suicide-by-overdrive
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bode wrote:

My point is, compared to even the cheapest PC recording setup that you have now, what I used were far far more inferior in quality with little or no flexibility.

Hi Bode Very Happy

now,that IS inspiring.
BTW-i've listened to your mp3s and WOW Laughing u sure can play the guitar well.i'm glad that there's ppl like you hanging around here(the rest pun hebat2 belaka dlm forum nie-in their own rights and respect) So,wanna share some solo tips??I think i've been in the pentatonic & diatonic prison too long.I dunno what else to learn.I sure can learn sumthing from a shredder like you. Very Happy
_________________
http://suicide-by-overdrive.fotopages.com
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Bode

Bouncing tracks...hmnnn havent actually used that term in ages Smile I am getting all nostalgic now.....

Haha...thats so true...when i started recording 9 years ago...I did my recordings on my little 4 track Tascam recorder. It actually gives you a greater understanding of the recording process once you make that move into digital recording. After all, analogue multitracking is what the digital version is based on.

Hmnn might get my dusty Tascam recorder out and have a listen to my old tapes...if they havent been devoured my fungus yet!!! Razz

After that I upgraded to just a normal Sblaster 16...then is was a SB AWE 64...then SBlaster 128...it jost got better and better. I sold my old systems to get the new ones...so it was all a gradual process. Also, gradually I learnt how to the equipment. No point having 'top-notch' equipment if you don't know how to use it.

Best way to learn from the bottom and make your way to the top.

/ridzi
Back to top
deadzid
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Location: Shah Alam

Ridzi, i think i need to have you as my guru laa for this recording setup and stuff. Actually, memang banyak benda yg aku tak tau, kalau explain kat sini pon bikin penin saja!

You're rite, kalau pakai equiment canggih gile babeng pon tak gune jugak kalau tak geti pakai! So aku cancel laa beli stuff yg aku rancang nak beli, tunggu ko balik sini, mintak advise same ko, kan?

Nak kene bertapa ngan ko le ni... Ape syarat2 die? hehe, apa mau? Perempuan? Wang ringgit? U name it, man!
_________________
> facebook
> youtube
> my-mic
> mockspecial.com
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hmmmnnn ko kena beli Nasi Lemak Antarabangsa 3 bungkus setiap hari untuk aku...hehehehehehe....

/ridzi
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Taken from the Behringer Site.

Basically a DI box takes the signal directly from an unbalanced high-impedance output—like an electric guitar—and feeds it directly into a mixing console or recorder.

/ridzi
Back to top
Bode
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 03 Feb 2004

suicide-by-overdrive wrote:

Hi Bode Very Happy

now,that IS inspiring.
BTW-i've listened to your mp3s and WOW Laughing u sure can play the guitar well.i'm glad that there's ppl like you hanging around here(the rest pun hebat2 belaka dlm forum nie-in their own rights and respect) So,wanna share some solo tips??I think i've been in the pentatonic & diatonic prison too long.I dunno what else to learn.I sure can learn sumthing from a shredder like you. Very Happy

Thanks for your kind words! Actually I can only tell you about what I know about soloing, but I'm not a qualified teacher la...aku belajar pun sendiri jer..menggagau sorang2 Smile Which aspect of soloing do you want to know? Topic soloing ni besar juger...Maybe I will start a new thread on it if enough people are interested...I will cover stuff you cant get from books/internet/videos...because yg the rest tu you can consult from those sources kan?
Back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to:

You cannot vote in polls in this forum

DAJ Glass template by Dustin Baccetti
EQ graphic based off of a design from www.freeclipart.nu