back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Doc Bode: how can i get this kind of sound...help pls « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
irelax
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Doc Bode: how can i get this kind of sound...help pls Reply with quote

http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/play.php?band_id=54&song_id=7329&mode=song_hifi

greetings all forumer...im new here..and new in guitar playing...currently using cheap guitar..cheap amp...i would like to know how can i get the sound like this? issit guitar/ amp/ effect/ or technique that need to produce that kind of sound...thx for helping and i need advices from all of u...thx alot...really appreciate it...
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

oh ni dr bode main kan?

he should be able to help you out!

Calling for Mr BODE!
irelax
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya...i did pm him...but no reply..i guess he's bz...i do hope someone can help me and guide me..
Bode
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa bro...sorry lambat!

I think i will reply here, because the answer to your question is something which is asked by a lot of people...including me when I was a young kid.

Ok...that sound is typical of the 80's guitar sound. It was meant to sound big and grandiose.

Efx chain is as follows--->
Humbucker (Bridge position)-->Overdrive/Dist-->Chorus-->Delay-->Reverb

My personal taste when using efx is when you dont notice the effect is there when it's on,but you only realise something is missing when you switch it off. You notice that the chorus, delay and reverb is not obvious, but used subtly.

The tone is pretty much a humbucker going into overdrive, with the tone's emphasis more on the mids. The 'highs' are actually provided by the right hand technique--> I pick slightly closer to the bridge to get a treblier tone. And dont forget artificial/pinched harmonics and of course a wide aggressive vibrato.

Nowadays, my guitar tone is pretty much overdrive/dist and nothing else. I started using this setup as a beginner back in 1984:

And after going a full circle, I've come back to this setup again. Maybe it's true when they say life goes in cycles Smile

I LOVE cheap guitars and amps. Nowadays, when I walk into a music store, I like to try out beginner end guitars rather than the expensive ones...like Squiers. Practice amp nowadays sound bloody great...and I'm happy to use one for recording (e.g. omar's Roland microcube)

Beginners are so lucky nowadays...it's hard to get bad gear because almost everything is so good...getting a great tone is easy and affordable.

One tip:
When using a big amp, start with all the tone controls at 12 o'clock, then adjust as necessary.

With a small practice amp, start with all the tone controls at the minimum setting (7-8 o'clock), then adjust as necessary. This is because amps of different sizes has their 'sweet spots' at different settings.
irelax
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx alot for doc. bode's reply...it's really help for a beginner like me...and currently i just have an ibanez gio...a boss ds-2..and a marshall 10 watts amp...so i just trying to get the best from wat i got...but i always cant get the sweet rich and stable tone from that...i dunno wat's wrong...i did tried to play some solos...but the tone just....hmmm tak mantap...not powerfull...so i guess i need some guide in how to play out the powerfull and "mantap" tone...maybe technique?if i change my guitar's pickup to high out put pickups...will it help?
irelax
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays, my guitar tone is pretty much overdrive/dist and nothing else. I started using this setup as a beginner back in 1984:

1984...=.= i was not born yet...i guess experience and time needed to have a good playing skill..
ust
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but bro, no mtter how long u play but with no proper technic xbleh jd power jugak.. i ply guitar since stndard skul.. tp sampai skrng (dh masuk U) still xpower n mantap.. therefore, perfect practice makes perfect.. with practise cmes along wit experience too.. Very Happy
irelax
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...need guide...i think this is the suitable place other than musical school
ETERNAL
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

i'm not qualified to give an advice here.. i'm also not a doc. hehe

but wth...

a lot of people says..
great tones burst out from the great hands... not from great equipments..

yeah practice make perfect..
practice with all the passion and soul
ultraman_cosmo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

yea,
aha, tone ne combination of everthing. the sound, the eq, teknik, the amp, guitar... even the smile of the guitarist pun include... hhahahaha.

Walo pun aku ne giler godek pedal , guitar dan amp. tapi aku rasa cara kita main still the X factor.

kalo kita punya main tak bagus, mana nak dapat the great tone dari gear. Kalo gear sedap pun jadi tak berapa sedap. Macam something missing jer.

So aku bertapa seminggu ne dari semua ceta diy or mod, dan paractice balik finger. Aku tak payah masuk gua, depan pc jer dengan drum beat... hhahahah.

Tapi, bode, the solo memang ada feel beb, aku suka cam tu. Dia macam story bout something... boleh tau aper ceta dia... hahhahaha. Hanya guitarist dia jer tau pekara sebenar ne,,, hahhahaha

Aku baru tau, bode specilist pasal telinga. 2 bulan lepas telinga gua infection, nasib baik dah baik minggu lepas. terlupa plak nak mintak pendapat doktor.

And Now all jazz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
irelax
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahah...maybe time solo tu mr.bode smile ngan charming kot...as u said smile included..Razz....i kena mintak byk2 advices...tentang cara2 ngan teknik2....klu main2 sorang je...smp tua pun kat ctu gak...LOL...tp skr mmg i main2 sorang2 je...xde kwn...xde band...haizzz...sedih....always a lone wolf...tp semangat nk blajar n improve tu...sentiasa membara...maklumlah as a chinese....skr kat alor setar ni jarang nk dpt chinese yg main instrument....kat cni je la i bleh blajar...maybe someone bleh post sket artical ttg teknik2...yg biasa di pakai...klu bleh ngan contoh skali...then huraian...lagi best...lol...tu cadangan je...i tau semua pun bz ngan life2 sendiri....tp dgn ade contoh ngan huraian teknik or gear yg dipakai...sure dpt memanfaatkan beginner mcm i ni..
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi irelax,
you can find some info here

http://www.i-bands.net/forum/cms_articles.php?cid=2

this might get you started ..
the internet is full of information - esp youtube - type scales , arpeggio , things like that u'll see alot of lessons..

cheers
Erna
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool info... Shocked
thanks guys..
poundcake
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

practice, practice, practice... memang betul...
tapi most rock musician(guitarists) kat malaysia started with the basic of all basic : KAPOK.. setuju? Laughing
radioflyer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAPOk the bloody fOokin Cool guitar!
setuju!

Jump to: