back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
 GUITAR RIG demo version now available! « View previous topic :: View next topic »
Author Message
suicide-by-overdrive
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: GUITAR RIG demo version now available! Reply with quote

Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Location: Petaling Jaya/TTDI Kuala Lumpur

Available as a free download at:

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?guitarrig_us

enjoy! Cool
_________________
http://suicide-by-overdrive.fotopages.com
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I was just about to post about this hahaha... You got to it first suicide!! Yeah seems like a cool product...i ahevnt downloaded it yet...but it all over the music magazines here in the UK...and there so much hooohaaa about it..

which can only mean that i need to try it out myself (i wasn't too impressed with the metal sound demo track on the site. that was a good example of a shitty metal tone Laughing

/ridzi
Back to top
suicide-by-overdrive
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Location: Petaling Jaya/TTDI Kuala Lumpur

Oh begitu ka Ridzi?hehe.
Actually, I wanted to post about it the moment t’was first lauched erlier this year.
Akan tetapi,I haven’t tried the software, so I was kinda fuhgehddaboutit

Ahhhh now, after playing with it last nite for the first time,I think this software cud be areal contender for amplitube,POD and the likes. The mic & cabinet modeling is to my ear the best I have heard so far.
But the best part of all, they also model all those sought after pedals like Digitech’s whammy /Ibanez’s tubescreamer/ Boss’s DS-1/and plenty more. The tube screamer simulation is as close as it gets IMHO. Feeding the screamer in front of fender tweed sim,u’ll get the same result, as though u r doing the same thing with the REAL thing.
Oh, had sooo much foon main2 with all those semalam.Tons of things to tweak, terasa mcm budak2 dapat byk crayon warna warni.
Very Happy

_________________
http://suicide-by-overdrive.fotopages.com
Back to top
deadzid
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Location: Shah Alam

ape limitation for this demo version???
_________________
> facebook
> youtube
> my-mic
> mockspecial.com
Back to top
suicide-by-overdrive
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadzid wrote:
ape limitation for this demo version???

emm..mcm biasa la kot,30 days evaluation period/tak leh save patches/tak semua benda available.

tapi yg beza demo guitar rig nie dgn demo amplitube...dia tak add white noise dan tak stop processing every 15 seconds.

Cool
_________________
http://suicide-by-overdrive.fotopages.com
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hmnn excellent...kena cari crack dia ni haw haw haw.........

/ridzi
Back to top
lupalak
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 10 Apr 2004

hey suicide..
i've tried a lot of amp simulator available for PC and all of em never work for me. It's because of the soundcard. I hate to plug in the guitar into the PC just to hear the sound an hour later. So what kind of soundcard did u used? Any latency prob? I know about all those 'ASIO pretend to be driver' but they all ended up consumed to many resources and processings. I'm using shitty SB Live 5.1 btw...

So anyone got the same prob? I really should get a better sound card... (sigh)
_________________
-sizlo
<b>sizlomania:</b> http://www.i-bands.net/sizlomania
<b>sizlokustic:</b> http://www.i-bands.net/sizlokustic
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupalak wrote:
hey suicide..
i've tried a lot of amp simulator available for PC and all of em never work for me. It's because of the soundcard. I hate to plug in the guitar into the PC just to hear the sound an hour later. So what kind of soundcard did u used? Any latency prob? I know about all those 'ASIO pretend to be driver' but they all ended up consumed to many resources and processings. I'm using shitty SB Live 5.1 btw...

So anyone got the same prob? I really should get a better sound card... (sigh)

Dude...i have exactly the same card as yours... Dont use the shitty creative drivers...they just dont work.

try the KxDrivers

Make sure your take your time reading through the website though. Works for me.

/ridzi
Back to top
suicide-by-overdrive
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupalak wrote:
hey suicide..
i've tried a lot of amp simulator available for PC and all of em never work for me. It's because of the soundcard. I hate to plug in the guitar into the PC just to hear the sound an hour later. So what kind of soundcard did u used? Any latency prob? I know about all those 'ASIO pretend to be driver' but they all ended up consumed to many resources and processings. I'm using shitty SB Live 5.1 btw...

So anyone got the same prob? I really should get a better sound card... (sigh)

lupalak,

Aha…you can always use KXdriver if you want to play guitar rig (or any of its kissing cousins) in real time. Just be prepared to discover some new learning curves along the way. Some are quite hard to understand at first(like routing the DSP), but I’m sure it’s not as mindfuck as setting a floating trem blindfolded while hanging up side down on a tree. Very Happy

Emm..about my setup, I’m using my MOBO’s(a7n8x-deluxe) built in soundcard. It may sound funny, but it does support ASIO2 and it is surprisingly fast. I can play guitar rig without hearing any noticeable delays.

Another thing, u might need a D.I. box if u want to play guitar rig using SB live’s line input. What the D.I. box does, it aligns the impedance of your guitar to the line input and therefore u will be able to hear the full sonic potential of your guitar and the software. If u choose not to use D.I. box, the signal/sound will sound weak and powerless.

My POD acts as a D.I box BTW. I just set the EQ flat, starts my sequencer; load the DXi plug-ins and walla…..an instant bedroom warrior playing sloppy “cliff of dovers” to the anguish his neighbors.
Laughing
_________________
http://suicide-by-overdrive.fotopages.com
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

i like people who know their shit Smile

/r
Back to top
lupalak
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 10 Apr 2004

ok help me out here. too lazy to go over the KX forum. how should i setup the KX router?i;'ve tried using the default full duplex directx driver with 512 buffer size. (can't go any lower). Failed to used the KX ASIO driver. Any suggestion. Whats ur setup Ridzi?
_________________
-sizlo
<b>sizlomania:</b> http://www.i-bands.net/sizlomania
<b>sizlokustic:</b> http://www.i-bands.net/sizlokustic
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Actually, you dont need to usik2 your buffer sizes etc etc... i didn't touch anything.

You just need to select the right VST Input Channel in Cubase (mine is 12/13) and set the sampling rate to 48000kHz.

I need you to be a bit more specific in describing the problem you are having with this driver. You need to let me know how you intend to use the driver. Are you getting sound out first of all??

But seriously...you really need to spend a bit of time with this driver.. understanding the DSP is all you really need....soon little lightbulbs will light in your head. It is quite a struggle up the learning curve, but it's worth it when you finally go ...aaaaaaahhh i seeeeee Mr. Green
Back to top
lupalak
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 10 Apr 2004

ooohh camnih bai..

my intention was to use the Guitar Rig. So basically no Cubase needed, right. Under the Audio+Midi setting. i've set Interface: ASIO; Sample rate: 48000; Output device: KX driver, with latency 5ms but no sound coming out. Then i changed the output device to "Default Windows Sound" with 512 buffer size (initially 2048). I've read somewhere that it'll be good idea to lower the buffer size to 256 but i couldn't go any lower than 512. Yes, it works but with 11ms latency.

Do u have any idea what i'm talking about? I'm assuming u've used the guitar rig and have satisfactory result with the KX driver.

yeah i've gone over the help manual once. tak paham apa pun.. maybe it's bcoz i was listening to someone else jibberish while reading it. Cool
_________________
-sizlo
<b>sizlomania:</b> http://www.i-bands.net/sizlomania
<b>sizlokustic:</b> http://www.i-bands.net/sizlokustic
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I see ...i too couldn't get it to run on standalone mode properly, but it was running beautifully as a VST in Cubase!! Smile

lupalak wrote:
ooohh camnih bai..

my intention was to use the Guitar Rig. So basically no Cubase needed, right. Under the Audio+Midi setting. i've set Interface: ASIO; Sample rate: 48000; Output device: KX driver, with latency 5ms but no sound coming out. Then i changed the output device to "Default Windows Sound" with 512 buffer size (initially 2048). I've read somewhere that it'll be good idea to lower the buffer size to 256 but i couldn't go any lower than 512. Yes, it works but with 11ms latency.

Ok good. Now that you have elaborated on what your problem is, it's easier for me to spot what you are doing wrong.

1) Like I said before, you dont need to change the buffers first, because you havent even got audio coming out yet with these drivers. You only need to change the buffer settings when and only if you are experiencing clicks/pops during playback.

2) Look at the diagram below. Click on option that is labled 1 and then click on Option 12. This option selects whether front and rear physical outputs are swapped. The reason is because:-

Quote:

Creative audio cards use the AC97 Codec for Front and Center/Subwoofer outputs, and I2S Codec for Rear output. The AC97 Codec is also used as an ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) and, thus, is responsible for all on-board analog inputs. (Note that LiveDrives and other DaughterBoard cards use different schemes).

The AC97 Codecs used in SBLive! cards are rather noisy devices (when compared to I2S Codecs), and this leads to some quality problems. As a rule, SBLive Rear outputs have much better Signal To Noise Ratio (SNR), Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) and Channel Separation (acs) since they use the I2S Codec. So, if you want to get better sound quality for music playback it is recommended that you plug your speakers into the 'Rear Out' and enable the 'Swap Front and Rear' kX Mixer option (the swap is enabled by default).

The Audigy and Audigy2 cards use both AC97 and I2S Codecs for Front output and this theoretically gives you rather good Front quality. But nevertheless, the AC97 Codec causes some distortion and thus the same procedure is recommended for use with Audigy / Audigy2 cards as well.

Certain Audigy2 Platinum Ex cards lack AC97 codec and thus don't require Front and Rear outputs to be swapped
.

So after swapping front-rear setting you should be able to get audio coming out from your speakers.

3) Then you need to go to theIn and Outs Page on the mixer (see below)

1. Front Speaker Volume
2. Rear Speaker Volume
3*. Centre Speaker Volume
4*. LFE Speaker Volume
5. Generic S/PDIF Volume
6*. Headphones Volume
7. S/PDIF1 VolumeInputs
8. AC-97 Level
9*. CD S/PDIF Level
10*. I2S(Inter IC Sound) Level
11*. Unknown Level
12*. Line-In/Mic 2 Level
13*. Coax/Optical SP/DIF In
14*. Aux 2 In

*Note these channels require hardware support, ie Live! 5.1, Live! Drive etc

You need to enable the channel that you are plugging in your guitar to. For example you have a Live Drive then enable Option 12 (Line-In2/Mic2). Only when you enable this you will be able to hear your guitar. If you are using Mic1 input, (on the soundcard), you need to go to the AC97 Page on the mixer. its all pretty self explanatory there) Line 1/CD audio/bla bla blah

Now all thats left to do is enable the recording channel. as per-diagram below.

4) So which channel i need to enable? Yep!! you guessed it, the channel you connected your guitar to laa. So we have been using Line2/Mic2. (option 12 on the diagram below)

Reminder - the Line1, Mic 1 input is within the AC97 In and Outschannel....so its just common sense to enable the AC97 channel on the Recording page.

Because of this you can use more than 1 input at any time!! Cool

After you have done the above you have to set up the KXdrivers within Cubase. But im not going to go into that just now. Lets see how you get on forst with gettig audio out first. Then we can talk about Cubase and setting it up in there

Ok for the time being im just going to explain it right up to here. Let me know if you get stuck.

The other thing to bear in mind is you might need to disable ACPI and configure your PC as a Standard PC- This is what I did to my PC, but this should only be done as a last resort.

lupalak wrote:

Do u have any idea what i'm talking about? I'm assuming u've used the guitar rig and have satisfactory result with the KX driver.

Yes i have used Guitar Rig within Cubase using the KXDriver and have had excellent results. Standalone mode didn't quite work for some reason.

/ridzi
Back to top
Ridzi
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupalak wrote:

my intention was to use the Guitar Rig. So basically no Cubase needed, right?

Theoretically yes, but I was speaking to suicide earlier and he also couldn't run Guitar Rig in standalone mode. He is running the DXi version in Sonar. I am running the VST version in Cubase.

/ridzi
Back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic  Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to:

You cannot vote in polls in this forum

DAJ Glass template by Dustin Baccetti
EQ graphic based off of a design from www.freeclipart.nu