back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

LOST IN THE FRETS « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
browndog2woof
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: LOST IN THE FRETS Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

bros and sis,

recently, i enjoyed some frets dressing work at gg's. i did the 7.25 radius and crowning myself to clear off the fret out prob. there was a topic discussion over the matter...

i've told him that recently i've played bob's guitar with stainless steel frets on it that sounds really2 metallic... not my preferences. latetly i'm hooked with the vintage frets. to me it has more juice from the fretboard. i've ordered fret wire from stumac. it's a vintage frets but a bit taller. to my suprise, it was the most popular fretwires sold by them. it will be in a weeks time or so.

most of the topics have been discused in my 'why my guitar sounds like shit issue', i have updated the topic. but as for this time, 'why someone preferes such frets' is the topic!... i like vintage frets on maple neck with more nickle content by stumac for that vintage feeling that i like (poyo gak mamat ni..ha ha ha ha!), thats my choice with a bit more of a lil' high action.

vintage fret is a bit 'torture' to play. if you chose the wrong brand of choice and quality, it won't sings. most people thinks that they easily worn out faster, i'm quite sceptical about that. have you ever played that heavy in clubs? hmmmm.... most jazz and blues players prefer this. it gives you that singing fret buzz kind of singing tone comes with the singing highs. but if you play at high volume, it will cut thru your ears and others as well. just tune down the presence or treble will help. have you ever played one? satch is one of the shredders using one...

jumbo frets will contribute more to the neck tone or juice, again the type and brand plays into action. you gonna loose the singing buzz tone once they got wider. it's more fat sounding (ikut size medium to jumbo) and more sustain. it is good for those 1/5 playing. it is also have no longer feel the fretboard moreless like the scallop ones... it is good for that heavy kind of tune..

you can check it's sizes and content on the net. work a bit for more info.. the reason i wrote this because i have one case study which involve the sound. this guy wants a strat maple sound on clean and a les paul rosewood sound on heavy. we recommended linly fralins and kindmans to fullfill his desire. up to one point, we recommended him the variax guitar, ha ha ha ha! later we discovered that he is more comfortable on short scale guitar and vintage frets.... but later he decided to play strats.. why? because everyone does lately..... hmm....

somesay that jumbo frets are easier to play, whereas the other one a bit harder.. playbility comes together with tone. we have to find something that can fullfill our playing and tone. that's why i've not talk much about pedals because the majors needs to be apprehended 1st. it's the source and feelings that matters, not just being a fingerist. some people manage to get it in the most comfy way, but to some, the hard and 'cowboy' way. the rest 'tak angkat tau.... aku main je!' then, i need not to explain further.... it suits you well.

still lost in the frets?

woof!
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

i am lost hehehe..
jackwylde
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

errr.... les paul sesuai x pakai jumbo fret??
ibanez nye jumbo fret senang nak main.
tp scale les paul x sama kan (lg kecik) ?? so lg senang ke lagi susah?
ada gita epi les paul 11 thn nak kene refret nih.
ni nak mintak pendapat abg2 pro skalian Very Happy Very Happy
tq
browndog2woof
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

fretted bro,

les paul aku suggest tukar medium jumbo. besar sangat tak sesuai pada pendapat aku sebab selepas 12th frets dia agak sempit. sound les paul short scale kalau nak dengar secara basic adalah gary moore atau slash tone. itu tone les paul.

woof!
jackwylde
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo .........
orait!! TQ
Cool Cool Cool
browndog2woof
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

btw,

selain dari selection of pickups and frets, aku suggest that we all look over the matter that whether

1) you prefer rosewood or maple
2) you prefer short scale or standard
3) your prefered or desired radius

the frets kind of thing will as well contributed to the tone that matches

1) thin low frets (vintage) has singing fret buzz tone and more loose. you have to put more energy in it for it to have that tone. i like how the notes sounds too. it also has more treble in it.

2) jumbo's will sustain more but lost in it's highs and a bit more tight. it has the boxy tone as well.

make really sure quality frets are fitted. an also, the other thing have you ever figure out that certain guitars are more precise in the notes than the other? as for this matter, the construction, material and set up will be greatly involved. the truss rod material and the way they are fitted are equally important...

woof!
cartman, eric
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bos.. mintak tolong explain a'lil further 3 things:

thin low frets (vintage) has singing fret buzz tone and more loose
- [1]loose. mcm ne tu..?? also, same goes to [2]tight. mcm ne plak tu..?

- [3]boxy tone.

thanks
browndog2woof
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

cartman, eric wrote:
bos.. mintak tolong explain a'lil further 3 things:

thin low frets (vintage) has singing fret buzz tone and more loose
- [1]loose. mcm ne tu..?? also, same goes to [2]tight. mcm ne plak tu..?

- [3]boxy tone.

thanks

bro cartman,

1) loose
- when you bend the notes, or playing the notes itself, on the thin frets it will have than smooth and silky sound with highs and singing buzz. you will have to to put more energy to it bro to get the tone. you can clearly hear this most on the tele or strats with vintage frets.. something lke albert collins or eric johnson...

2) boxy tone
- but when you put bigger frets, the tone will get more solid and tight sounding. you will loose that singing buzz and highs. but you can still obtain the treble from the amp... something like srv for blues or most of rock guitarist...

if you're free, you can drop by my place and try yourself. i got a guitars with vintage frets and a with jumbo frets. the best only way to hear and compare. call me bro...

woof!
danger3s
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that on short scale guitars like les paul and es335 it is almost impossible to do a fast full string bend on their last few frets. How does that happen & is there any way to evercome that other than changing to lower gauge strings?
cartman, eric
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bro woof: thanks for the explanation. segan la p umah otai, aku main pon tunggang langang.. Embarassed
browndog2woof
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

danger3s wrote:
I find that on short scale guitars like les paul and es335 it is almost impossible to do a fast full string bend on their last few frets. How does that happen & is there any way to evercome that other than changing to lower gauge strings?

bro danger,

common complains i have heard compared to standard scale. the frets distance making them uneasy to play. lower gauge is one of the ideas that most will do. but there are 2 more options that you should try.

1) eb tuning
2) low action

these might help provided that you set the neck angle properly. btw, this is one of the reason aku prefer standard scale. aku rasa uneasy to play gak kat last few frets... but my friend managed to get away with that. maybe the feel of the neck heel fits him. preferences and comfy could be quite different from another.

woof!
browndog2woof
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

cartman, eric wrote:
bro woof: thanks for the explanation. segan la p umah otai, aku main pon tunggang langang.. Embarassed

bro cart,

datang la... tak payah lah nak segan. kalau ko jumpa aku, it might change how you think about guitars mostly. sms aku dan bila datang, bawak guitar sekali..

woof!
Everdying
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danger3s wrote:

yea, use a SG Razz
danger3s
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx bro woof, boleh try your suggestions. I had to somehow lose the natural punch from the strings.

And I'm gonna say this & will not afraid to say it over again,

SG SUCKS BALLS

err i mean, tonally

sorry angus hehe
Everdying
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah u havent tried the right SG yet.
ur free to come try my '74...weighs a good 4kg...basically 1kg more than normal...ebony board...bill lawrence designed gibson pickups.
i've also had a few offers to borrow it for recordings from some mainstream bands.

now my SG classic w/ P-90s is set to take over its place Razz

and no, i dont like current SG standards cos of the 490/498 pickups and also its large pickguard...SG classic being the exception cos P-90s overrule large pickguard Razz

but uhh, my extended family.

Jump to: