back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

I recorded my own band, with a presonus firepod (PIX added!) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
junior84
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: I recorded my own band, with a presonus firepod (PIX added!) Reply with quote

Im no pro, but i did make some audible stuff!

hi, go to http://www.myspace.com/theeleanorshotgunaffair
to listen to 'When Stars and Satellites Collide' recently recorded, its a rough mix, and may be re-recorded.

I will provide some steps on how i came about this recording. Maybe some pictures will be posted up later on,

but I have some info I'd like to share with you, to save time and some cash for yourselves, you may find it useful as it was a nightmare for me at first!

my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) -

Is just a common PC loaded with a Pentium 4, 2.66 GHZ, Normal Graphic Card, 1GB of RAM (This is good enuff)

Softwares -
CakeWalk Home Studio 4(I used this as a beginner- very easy to understand), SonarSonar 6 Producer Edition, Ahead Nero (For Burning your master copy)

I dont use the cubase LE that came free with the firepod, because i cant record 6 channels simutaneous for drums (cubase LE only let a maximum of 4 channels)

Hardwares
a. Sound Card -Audio Interface

Because i needed to RECORD DRUMS, and Edit every part of the Drums in Sonar afterwards I had a choice between an ESI 1010 or a Presonus Firepod,
there is no other choice otherwise unless I had a bigger budget.
So I chose the Presonus firepod because it has 8 inputs with 8 pre-amps, and its firwire! unlike the ESI 1010 which has 8 inputs but 2 pre amps and is only for PCI, the price difference is Firepod RM2,300.00, and ESI 1010 RM1300.00. Even if i did buy the ESI 1010, I'd have to buy another 6 pre amps, all in all, Id end up spending more with an ESI 1010 than just buying a fire pod. There are a lot of other pro and cons between ESI 1010 and a Firpod, but they're both good! They both have phantom power for overheads at least! but the fire pod has 8 XLR pahntom power ports!

Audio interfaces and softwares
Everything does not nessesarily match!
Certain Multitracking softwares do not recognise Certain audio interfaces -The software may not recognise the ASIO inputs, so you may have to adapt with other softwares suited for the audio interface that you have . That is why prior research is VERY important in these cases, that is determining the compatibility of the interface with whatever Software of your preference. But whatever softwares you may have to use, in case you cant use the one you like, the fundamentals are still the same.

My firepod works just fine with sonar as it recognises all the XLR, TRS, Midi inputs and outputs. It works with other softwares such as cubase, Adobe, Garange Band and so on. Except for PRO TOOLS , i think this is because pro tools only recognises Digi Design audio interfaces only.

The similar concept can be applied between PCI firewire ports and audio interfaces, a lot of firwire interface users I know have recomended Texas Instruments to me, but I stuck to the cheap RM 30.00 one (I donno the brand), thank god I saved money and it still works anyway.

Microphones :
DRUMS
I was really on a budget so I got myself a set of 7 'Superlux' drum mics at JALAN PASAR KL, which had mics for Kicks, Toms and Overheads (Condensor), its good enough for budget, quite clear as well. I got the whole set for RM 500.00, I added another RM100.00 for 3 samson drum clips to clip the mics on the Toms (so that I dont need to by 3 other mic stands) and the sales man gave me 2 free 10 metre XLR cables for free! (RM25.oo each)

For Snare drums I used a Shure Beta 58a which I already had, retail shelf price before discount is RM 900.00 but you can use a shure SM58 or SM57 that retails for RM 350.00. (Even cheaper if you can get them second hand.)

Vocals
I dont have my own condensor Microphone yet but my Bandmate had an Audio Technica AT 4033 which is maybe worth around RM1500.00 or more for this recording, but I will get either a behringer B2 for RM 500.00, or a MY MIC.. these are the two condensor mics that I think are up to par and healthy for the wallet. They both come with Shock Mounts!
As for POP filters at jalan pasar they cost cheapest around RM90.00 or so, but I made my own, using an old drum skin rim and some cloth. (you can use pantiehose as well), which is equally efficient as a factory pop filter. I mounted the pop filter with a broken Mic Clip and a broken mic stand infront of the condensor Mic which is also Mounted on another Mic stand!.

Instruments
For instruments, because I didnt have a soundproof room, I used direct input in the Firepod, (It has 2 direct input for 1/4 cables) that has +30db pre amp, but I didnt use the 1/4 input, instead, I used an external tube pre amp (Behringer MIC100- RM270.00 Jalan Pasar) and put it in the XLR inputs of the firepod at line level (0db), This is to make the sound "Warmer", has better presence, the pro's will explain to you lah! I cant describe it, it just Sounds better!

I used the Tube Pre-Amp for all instruments (except from drums) and for Vocals! - get one!

Monitor
I just used my RM 20.00 multimedia speaker and dirt cheap headphones (haha) but I am checking out the Behringer MS-40 (20 watts a side) which retails for about 790.00 or so. Not that critical at the moment for mixing (for me).

Accessories
you'll need quite a bit of accesories,
1 .buy 3 or 4 mic stands, at jalan pasar the cheapest mic stand is RM18.00 excluding mic clip around RM 4.00each.

2. Cables!
1. You'll need around 7 XLR cables for mics, the more the better! RM 25.00 each

2. You'll need 1/4 jacks for your guitar / bass / keyboard (RM13.00)

3. This is quite complicated to find but I found some in ss2 - PJ, Stereo RCA to Female mini 1/4", to connect the fire pod main out to my PC speaker. (RM8.00) but if you have the Stereo RCA to Male 1/4'" is ok as well, I also had a female to female 1/4" custom made for RM 15.00. If your really good at soldering then make your own, there are loads of mini 1/4" inputs out there anyway. After that, get also a RCA to 1/4 input male convertors fot the 2 male (white and red) RCA plugs. Another different option is to us a Double Mono 1/4 cable that connects to a stereo female mini 1/4 or just normal 1/4. But thats even harder to find.

4. Headphones is a must, get a few - maybe 3. Cheap expensive doenst really matter.

Estimated Budget for quite a good rig! (assuming you already have a decent PC and Instruments)

1. Presonus Firepod Fire wire audio interface : RM 2,300.00
2. Drum mics and Mic Clips : RM600.00
3. Behringer Tube Pre Amp Mic 100 : RM 270.00
4. Shure SM 57 or SM 58 : RM 350.00
5. 4 mic stands @ RM 18 each : RM 72.00
6. 7' (10 metre) XLR cables @ RM25.00 each : RM175.00
7. 1 behringer B2 condensor : RM 500.00
8. 2 x (Stereo RCA to female 1/4) @ RM 8.00 each : RM16.00
9. 3 x Dirt Cheap headphones @ RM 15 each : RM 45.00
8 : Maintainence toolkit + Soldering Iron and Cable Holder : RM 60.00
9. PCI firewire Slot for for firepod : RM 30.00
10. 4 Mic Clips @ RM 4.00 : 16.00

Total : 4434.00 Sahaja!

there are good resources as well,

www.presonus.com (for recording hardware info on presonus stuff)
www.soundonsound.com (Gives overall picture of the recording world)
www.diyaudio.com (to make your own audio stuff!)
www.musiciansfriend.com (read the product reviews and get estimate of costs - remember to add 25% for govt electronics import tax and 30% local retail markup after USD conversion)

PLS PM me if you want to know discriptively of which outlets I obtained these stuff from. I have my reasons. hehe

Do take note that theres a lot of trial an error, things are not nessesarilty plug and play! take your time and practice a lot of patience, and dont buy on impulse without having prior understanding of what your buying! and go direct to the distributor of these goods! its cheaper!
I'd be happy to share more of what I know from trial and error, later on... share some pics and edit this thread... hope it was informative

AZIM - The Eleanor Shotgun Affair / Fallacy Records[/b]

Pix!

Tom mic and Clip

Beta 58a on Snare

Stereo RCA (with 1/4 converter) to Female Mini 1/4" (1/8 as some call it) to connect to PC speaker or Headphones

DIY Pop Filter on broken mic clip / Holder

Overheads capture entire set, not just cymbals!

Positioning the kick drum Mic

Guitar connected to tube amp bypass firepod mic pre, same thing for Vocal mics!

Firepod and temporary "Monitor" connected thru the RCA to Female 1/8'

PCI Firewire port

6 channels for drums

The bigger view

Old faithful!

Very Happy [/b]

Last edited by junior84 on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:17 am; edited 11 times in total
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

sweet i'm really interested in the drum recording part..thanks for the bit writeup there..i'll check out your songs

welcome to i-bands Smile
junior84
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!
yeah the drums part can be quite a bitch!
will edit and add more pics soon!

thanks for reading man

Azim
okta
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

dude,
can u post up to i-bands?

malaysia cannot listen to myspace player i think
junior84
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i will, im still figuring out how to upload my Mp3 on i-bands... hehe Embarassed Im trying to register my band as well.

but for the moment, if you go in myspace, it wouldnt be a problem because I put in a seperate flash player. So malaysian listeners can hear.
:>

Azim
MY-MIC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Azim,

regarding condenser microphones, you can always borrow a MY-MIC Taming Sari from ajeep (boss kat i-bands.net) for your test recordings before deciding on which one to get. jangan segan2 nak call boss i-bands.net

Would be even better if you could borrow a Behringer B2 and do a side by side recording and give us your professional comments on the different mic sounds.

MY-MIC Team

ajeep handy no.

012 3330367
019 3381154
junior84
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: B2 vs. Taming Sari (yay!) Reply with quote

Thank you! MY Mic Team, I will give ajeep a call in the near future, Its quite a rare opportunity to be able to test the product prior to purchase, especially by the distributors that are just keen on selling, so Kudos to My Mic team for having the confidence in potential customers!

I'd be happy to do that as soon as I can get hold of someone who is willing to lend me their B2 for a day and I'll run a fair and objective comparison Very Happy

and I hope that 'Taming Sari' is still on offer price!

take care
Azim
okta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

If you can figure out all those recording stuff, I'm sure you'll do fine with the music uploads Smile

just listen to your 1st song in myspace.Nice recording, especially the main vocals. The mix is a mess some part tho.

the drums a bit drowned. Not sure if it's your mix or recording.

the acoustic guitar sounds so thin. Maybe your preference.

Get yourself a nice pair of monitors and mix it properly then it'll be great.

job well done.

and one more thing. get the band to be tighter. timing lari here and there, pitch also.

and
Quote:
Estimated Budget for quite a good rig! (assuming you already have a decent PC and Instruments)

U didn't included your PC Smile
junior84
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea Very constructive boss, thank you so much! you're right! In spite of this being the first attempt,
im sure there will be improvement and progress that come with more practice.

Sorry I didnt include the PC estimate, im not too sure about the prices these days, I bought my PC early 2006 and it still kicks butt as a DAW and a Gaming platform and hehe. But more discriptively, I use

(PC - Windows home XP Gui)
1. Pentium 4 , 2.66 ghz (Dual cores are even better!)
2. Asus Socket 775 with on board ATI Radeon Xpress Graphics Card + ULI 1753.
3. 80 GB Sata 2 Hard Disc Drive
4. 1 gig DDR Ram
5. CD burner

Now after 1 year of use my p4 processor fan is making a lot of noise, this is not good especially for recording as the noise just makes its way into the very sensitive condensor mics! plus I cant even sleep at night with the PC on. Its so loud, so the Fan will be replaced by a quieter Heat Sink fan when i have more cash.

Maybe it'll cost around RM1,500.00 to get a better DAW than mine, but dont quote me on that. Likewise an almost 2 year old PC can manage sound recording as well as other applications . Maybe an even larger hard Disc drive would prove to be better in the long run. So don't go to the Mac store just yet.

Stability of My PC/DAW
Also take note that when I did "Simutaneous Multi-trackking" (man that sounds so intense haha), I switched off all the unnessesary applications eg. Wireless internet connection, anti-virus, P2P programs etc (Go to windows task manager close all unnesesary programs), and also I adjusted the settings of the PC system properties ( right clicking my computer - in advanced section) to emphasize on performance rather than appearence. This would help with the clikking and popping and audio dropouts that will tentatively happen in the first few attempts of using some audio interfaces. I must warn you that there is a high chance of encountering problems with sync'ing the interface to your DAW. This has to be dealt with by trial and error of applications as well as the PC hardware, some of these are maybe incompatible with the interface. But you can always check out forums to do with the product you buy. See what other users have to say and check out the troubleshooting FAQ's. I spent 1 month trouble shooting my probs. Dah nak campak dah firpod tu! But in the end I manage to figure out the probs, and is having a great time recording!

Other than the presonus Firepod, also check out the Alesis io/26, it should be around the same price, and it even has Gain Led displays (which is not on the firepod unfortunatly for me) It didnt arrive here in KL in time, I had ants in my pants already, gatal nak record. Both have midi and SPDIF in outs, but I've yet to explore this digital endevour!

LAptop
I've also been checking out laptops recently, the ones in the RM2k - RM 3k budget in my opinion is still not cut out for recording, most of them are 512MB RAM, although it fulfills the requirements, its quite risky I say. Plus you most probably cannot rely on the onboard 1394 firewire inputs. Im still quite hesitent to go mobile at the moment untill I win the lottery.

Kaya Betul Budak Ni!
Oh tidak! I havent had a good meal in years (Just kidding) So if anyone was wondering how much a regular Joe spent to build a home studio, considering that im still a student and basically broke through out the year, you could estimate that just for instruments, Drums, Guitars, Bass, Keyboards, Amps, Pedal, Accesories, it could run up to around RM5k ( I think) + a complete recording rig with PC RM6K so around RM11k. But it didnt take place one shot, it took maybe about 3 years of gradual planning or buying.
But if you put it in perspective, it just like how photographers spend, how motor enthusiasts spend, and so on. Just a matter of taste. Sure, you can spend way less, but trying to budget out too much would subject you to more limitations, for instance having a 2in 2 out interface, its good if you want to record individual instruments, i highly recommend it, but when it comes to drums. You will not be able to edit the individual parts of the drum kit later on. But some would argue that you just need good acoustics and jst 2 overheads to capture an entire drum kit. Thats not my preference though.

All in all, home studio is a great platform for bands to produce clarity, articulate and audible Demo's, or for practice purposes and given the right amount of skill, it can even produce pro sounding results. But still nothing beats far better equiped studios and well versed engineers.

Azim

okta wrote:
If you can figure out all those recording stuff, I'm sure you'll do fine with the music uploads Smile

just listen to your 1st song in myspace.Nice recording, especially the main vocals. The mix is a mess some part tho.

the drums a bit drowned. Not sure if it's your mix or recording.

the acoustic guitar sounds so thin. Maybe your preference.

Get yourself a nice pair of monitors and mix it properly then it'll be great.

job well done.

and one more thing. get the band to be tighter. timing lari here and there, pitch also.

and
Quote:

U didn't included your PC Smile

Erna
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

banyak jugak modal utk dpt sound yg bagus even for a simple home studio setup..
anyway, welcome junior84 Very Happy
good to have u here and thanks for sharing the info..
junior84
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe thanks,
takder la byk sgt modal utk jangkamasa panjang,
hobi lain lagi mahal ape...hehe Cool
Mixboy2105
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY-MIC wrote:
Hi Azim,

regarding condenser microphones, you can always borrow a MY-MIC Taming Sari from ajeep (boss kat i-bands.net) for your test recordings before deciding on which one to get. jangan segan2 nak call boss i-bands.net

Would be even better if you could borrow a Behringer B2 and do a side by side recording and give us your professional comments on the different mic sounds.

MY-MIC Team

ajeep handy no.

012 3330367
019 3381154

I recommed that you get a My-MIC for your home studio. Even better, get a pair and you record stereo Laughing

Its what a Behringer B2 wants to be when it grows up Laughing
Studio 21:05
http://www.myspace.com/studio2105
46A, Lorong Rahim Kajai 14,
Taman Tun Dr Ismail, 60000 Kuala Lumpur.
MALAYSIA
T: +6016-364 8510
O: +603-7710 2105
E: studio2105@yahoo.com
BBM 213A6E77
junior84
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wah, you vouch for the taming sari jedi!
using 2 TS for stereo or over heads is not such a bad idea at all.
Erna
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedi wrote:

I recommed that you get a My-MIC for your home studio. Even better, get a pair and you record stereo Laughing

Its what a Behringer B2 wants to be when it grows up Laughing

haha.. Very Happy

junior84 wrote:

using 2 TS for stereo or over heads is not such a bad idea at all.

i agree with that bro..
junior84
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe,
i made a mistake, its not the Behringer B2 pro (RM 800.00), I was talking about the Behringer B1 (RM 500.00), silly me..

so its MY-Mic Ts vs Behringer B1 - Malaysia vs Germany.

Jump to: