back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Speedo Drummo! « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
adam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

yeah im a drummer and ive never been to classes. i'd like my bandmates to tell me where ive gone wrong so i could improve.sakit hati lah if kena kutuk but it feels much better when i get it right.

maybe first tell him whats good about his drumming and then tell him what to improve on

does your drummer have the same musical preferences?if no then maybe thats the problem and gotta find a way around it to make that work.
http://www.myspace.com/flirtingwithsleep
Jailhouserock
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice advice ETERNAL, Adam.
Actually, I've been playing some speedo songs with him and it pleased him and the other line-up. I know that but I'd like something more than speedo. Like a mixture of speedo and other stuff, grooves, etc. Smile
supergroove
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer issues heh... Well i dunno how i took it when Ajeep or any other CTP asked me to slow down a bit or up tempo a bit and so on...

I guess, maybe u should use some of Ajeep's words on me like, "Maybe i can record the song without the drum - for you to listen" or "Kalau try practise dengan metronome aku rasa ok jugak".

Well that made me figured it myself that i have lotsa lotsa technic to improve to blend in with the CTP songs.

Nanti kalu kau dah jumpa metronome hak tak mengarut and tak mahal sangat saun aku jeep... By then aku dah kat KL lah kot... Buleh jam for once this year, the 2005 final showdown.
kari_convention
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Speedo Drummo! Reply with quote

Jailhouserock wrote:
How do you tell your drummer to stop thinking about speed and instead concentrate on tone, timing, phrasing, etc ?

its easy. buy him/her a metronome.
Wolfenheart
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramai gak le drummer yg aku tgk dorang mmg mampu utk speeding kaw2 punya...tp bila masuk part tempo slow as well as off beat, mmg dorang kantoi...kesilapan utama aku rasa sbb dorang start main drum dgn main lagu2 yg laju... Wink
aecnrn
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your tone right, your tempos right, and you techniques correct before doin anything! hahahaha...
Razz

Though i can't play speed... But still i think tone and tempo are the most important things in drumming. One more thing, play by your ears and not your eyes. Yes it is true, playing by heart is good, but sometimes have to consider the music it self too.
Razz

LoL. How to tell him?
YOu dont have to tell him anything, just prepare one slow songs that require tone and catchy timings, and get the band members to practice. Smile
He'll get it soon...
the_one
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.. drummer kena start from basic..(foundation)... tempo(counting) kena betul... .. coz u need to be in control as you are leading the band... that havent includes other strokes,ride, hi-hat techniques yet...

As a drummer, tak buleh pukul ikut perasaan (geram)... sbb u used more energy on the hand rather than pergelangan tangan .... make sure its smooth... A gud drummer its not abt speed... beleived me...
Dulu pun aku speed jugak...n heading no where....finally i discovered myself the drums technique few years back...then all the speed is 'nothing' ... A good drummer also is someone that can play along with the bass player...

Telling him ?... just tell him as a drummer.. we need to be open minded to accept feedback from anyone in the band... coz others may listen differently .... that is one way to improve... put all EGO away...
Kalau nak test, ask him to play those 'slow' song e.g mariah carey.. n listen to his tempo, tone etc.. ok ke tak..
Like it or not...he can ask other drummer.. the most difficult song to play is a slow song...& a jazz song (technique).

Just to share..if he really serious... mayb he should be watching videos abt drums n see drummers performing live....
To me, i would recommend my idol Dave Weckl (jazz).
Check it out www.daveweckl.com and listen to his sample.. and he can browse via youtube as well. Dave created few techniques in drumming.
Even he is not playing jazz...the skill & technique is applicable...
As a musician (drummer), we need to listen to all types of music
Coz the music itself is "universal"... try at least..playing different types of musics... then ask urself how does it feels ?

if you are in KL, catch the drum sifus in action at the jazz gigs.
Drummer such as Lewis Pregasam,Zahid Ahmad, John Thomas,Gary Gideon,Brother Tom. You will definately learn something from there...

All the best...

Jump to: