back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

guitar with locking nut / floating bridge « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
agogok
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: guitar with locking nut / floating bridge Reply with quote

aku pakai gtr jenis ni, ibanez RG370. nak mintak pendapatan paka2 sekalian. masa memula beli dulu dah set string 0.09. aku biasa main rhythm metal/ drop tune. sampai satu tahap string jadi low, berlaga laga dgn fretboard. then, aku tukar ke gauge 0.10. takdelah masalah apa, sound ok, string pon tak berlaga dgn fret bila main drop tune. cuma dia punye tremolo arm dah jadi ketat sikit compare seblumnya. gtrist lain yg pakai string saiz 0.10 ni ada masalah nak tekan tremolo tk? tchnician gtr;' aku ada tambah satu spring kat dlm tu.. h , itu ke puncanya?

ni yg tak bestnye pakai gtr yg ada locking nut. nk tukar tune kena unlock dulu. kalo kayo dah angkat gtr lagi satu untuk standard tune
cartman, eric
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: guitar with locking nut / floating bridge Reply with quote

agogok wrote:
aku ada tambah satu spring kat dlm tu.. h , itu ke puncanya?

yes. sbb bile tambah spring,
theres more spring tension vs. string tension.
so kalo nak kasi trem arm lembut sket.
kena relese spring tension by loosening the spring claw.
or removing a spring completely

tp kalo buat mcm tu kt gitar FR,
the strings will pull more tension, so FR base plate akan naik.
an ideal FR setting is the base plate being parallel to the body.

tgk vids nie.

guitarbusters - floyd rose tech vid 1
guitarbusters - floyd rose tech vid 2
guitarbusters - floyd rose tech vid 3

* nti la pagi2 nti ade org lain tlg kasi pendapat dieorg.
aku ni kadang2 bukan betol sgt pon. Razz
ETERNAL
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

9 -> 10 need to set the tension
10 -> 9 need to setup again..

we cannot simply change the gauge and expect everything will be perfect.
Otaizam
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it just not that simple to change gauge and tune even on a NON_FLOATING BRIDGE guitar. because some other issue need to be consider. Like the intonation, action and spring tension for examples.

I am using a floating bridge guitar right now. Had to admit that it is not practicle to keep changing tune. But as far I am concern, even if i have a fixed bridge, I wont keep changing my gauge and my tune so many times.... i prefer to have another guitar with another gauge and another tune.... it is not about money, but its about time and convenient.

Even the floating bridge is consider sucks for some guitar player I feel it more stable if you really understand the system and got some basic knowledge to do some simple maintenance.

Just a humble opinion
Erna
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otaizam wrote:
I think it just not that simple to change gauge and tune even on a NON_FLOATING BRIDGE guitar. because some other issue need to be consider. Like the intonation, action and spring tension for examples.

totally agree with u bro..mmg susah kalau tukar gauge nih..
poundcake
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

setuju jugak.. the best thing is ada dua gitar..satu standard tune satu apa jenis tuning yg kita prefer... senang skit.. so mai kita simpan duit angkat lagi satu kapak.. eh, axe..
joe_labi
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kapak.huhuuh.
beli la kapak ber cap ibanez s series with zero resistance tremolo system.
huhu.
munkee_m
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm John here. I run the John L custom guitars workshop . I just cant help but doing a short write up about this matter, its so interesting. Regarding the Subject of floating bridge, there's a million and one ideas on getting them steady and for heap running. whether you need a re setup is also an obvious answer, however, the matter is also very subjective to individual Preference.
To make things clear, when you say 9- gauge, there's 9-42, 9-48, 9-52 and many more custom not so slinky and rubber sliky gauge outhere, the middle 4 strings also sometimes varies the tension you'll feel. My advice is, experiment with the desired gauge out choice, from the various brands, i recomend Snake , Elixir ( nano) , Gianini, DR. The core of the strings also hold various tension values that will make you "feel" like its higher in tension.

Next, is the Springs Very Happy
The springs and the string tension works together as a counter reaction force to balance out the floyd rose- or trem bridge. i normally recommend a flat bed parallel surface to the guitar body. which this gives you optimum space room and maximizing the dive's and pull ups. you'll see 3-5 springs behind, and also 2 screws anchoring it, Tighten the screws, increases the tension on your spring, hence increases the tension on your strings- Higher string tension will result in Increase in Frequency ( Hz)- Hence increase in pitch. - enough physics here...
I would suggest less Springs better, like it or not, springs are energy absorbers- Musical Waves are energy- sinisular waves to be precise- Springs absorbs TONE!!!!! if 3 spring is not enough, get the black high tension springs 2 of them will do the trick. try balancing out both tension by
First, Tuning to Pitch-
- See how the bridge floats, if it drives up - towards the cavity- your spring tension is too high- Reduce it by turning the 2 screws behind anti clock wise. and tune up again untill you get a balance Bridge angle.- sometimes it takes bout 4-5 times . trial and error you'll get it, dont listen to those repairman that freak you out.. worst to worst, you'll break a string.
- If its dives up- Towards the pickup. do the exact thing- except the REVERSE Very Happy- increase the tension by turning the screws clockwise.
if you do it propelly, you can get a nice tension across the neck, you wont even need to tweak your truss rod for relief.
one thing to look out for is the intonation..... thats a topic by it self alone.
If your floyd rose has a torque adjuster - there's another topic by itselfs Very Happy
anyhow, here's my personal number- feel free to call me up for assistance if you need any. Information is free for everyone Very Happy Feel free to pass this info on to anyone. 03-78777500( john) or you can mail me your questions to john@fattyandskinny.com.my or munkee_m@hotmail.com
i'll try my best to answer in the shortest time.. if i don't... pls REMIND ME!!!.
sorry for the bad English... i'm rushing Very Happy

hope this helps

Cheers!

Jump to: