back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

clanking &^!@%## string! « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ezfulus
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: clanking &^!@%## string! Reply with quote

hi and gud day all..im obviously new here huhu. em just wanted to story2 my prob here and possibly get some badly needed help/solution regarding it from the otais here huhu..

i own an olp petrucci guitar (cheap, but great!) with floating trem bridge, plastic nut & cheap locking tuners. prob is, after a few months beli, the 3rd string aka G-string hihi started to produce this 'clanking' sound whenever i bend the string or the B-string above it. its not a buzzing-kinda sound tapi more like bunyi tari tu kene tarik dari dalam. dunno how to explain..nak kate dead string, dah banyak kali tukar string tapi still berulang. although bunyi tu tak kuar kat amp but its very2 irritating indeed, since i could still hear and feel the 'clank' noise myself. potong stim btul laa!!

apa masalahnya eh? trem? nut? tuners? im guessing its the nut but i may be wrong. before i do any expensive unnecessary adjustments, baik laa tanya dulu kat sini yek. so..help!!??
cartman, eric
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: clanking &^!@%## string! Reply with quote

ezfulus wrote:
the 3rd string aka G-string hihi started to produce this 'clanking' sound whenever i bend the string or the B-string above it.

-what do you mean 'above it'.?
-does it happen if played open note, fretted note without bending
or does it only happens whilst bending.?
-does it happen on other strings.?
-does it happen at all fret positions or just a select few.?

but if i may shoot in the dark here...
try raising the action on ur 'G' and 'B' string.
not much. 1/8th of a turn and try if it still 'clanks'
if not, turn it another 1/8th. and so on and so forth.

* 1/8th or even 1/16th of a turn.
which ever pace you are comfortable working in.

its the weekend, not many will be hanging around here.
come Monday you will have more replys to this thread.
so hang in there. Smile

Last edited by cartman, eric on Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
cartman, eric
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to clarify.

this clanking sound. does it sound like pinching 2 strings and fretting it togather.?

for example. pull both the 'G' string and 'B' string togahter,
and fret it both at lets say 12th fret.
obviously fretting down both the strings at the 12th with 1 finger.

if so. the sound will sound like a clank, but its more of a fret buzz problem.
cause of problem. uneven frets.

well again, i am shooting in the dark, so i might be wrong.
ezfulus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops sorry for the late reply. was waiting for my turn to use the pc yesterday but somehow 'ter'fell asleep lak hehehe. anyhow, thanks for replying cartman!

cartman, eric wrote:
-what do you mean 'above it'.?
-does it happen if played open note, fretted note without bending
or does it only happens whilst bending.?
-does it happen on other strings.?
-does it happen at all fret positions or just a select few.?

happens only on the 3rd string whilst bending at any note/fret position but once it happens, the string would easily go clanking2 again even with the slightest push of the trem bar. so i guess there's 2 possibilities of the clank happening; either by bending or applying trem bar..and i use both of em alot! huhu..

cartman, eric wrote:
this clanking sound. does it sound like pinching 2 strings and fretting it togather.?

i tried pinching & pulling them like u said but couldnt hear any clanking sound at all. before this, ive also tried raising the action but even with the highest playable action, the prob still persisted. isk2..
ezfulus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my quest to get rid of the prob ive also discovered/tried these:
1-everytime the prob occurs, id pull the string away from the lubang nut, shake the string abit and restores it back. clanking gone for awhile but once i bend gila2 again, the clanking comes back.

2-the locking tuner of the 3rd string is abit loose, but even after i ketatkan the skru kaw2 the tuner can still gerak2 abit. tuning stability aside, do u think this in any way affects the string?

3-never adjusted the truss rod and spring tension before. however when i tried to tighten the truss rod it wouldnt budge..even with quite abit force. so didnt bother to continue la..takut patah lak truss rod tu.

4-sometimes the prob wouldnt occur at all. like yesterday after pinching & pulling like u told me, i tried to goreng2 abit la. and wow! mustve been one of my rare lucky days when the prob didnt happen..even after bending gila2 & abusing the trem. so berjam2 jugak la lepas geram main gitar semalam! but i know the prob would still occur again, since this has happened in the past. just dunno what actually triggers the prob..

5-come to think about it, im not sure if 'clank' is the proper word. its more like 'kreuk kreuk' sound that we always hear time main buaian kat taman masa kecik2 dulu. macam bunyi rantai karat dia yang bergerak2..lebih kurang laa!

hopefully the info above are useful..thanks again yah!
daus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try changing the nut if you have more $$ or file that particular nut slot abit making it smooth or kinda slope abit(the slope angle is following the string angle towards the tuner, not otherwise).
i've experienced this similar problem before (if my guessing's right) at the same string and i've noticed that the slot kinda flat (there's no angle on the slot) & have a fine cracking line. so i file it down abit and voila, the clanking noise is gone.
but, be careful if you wanna file that slot cause you don't wanna file it too deep(causing fret buzz) or too wide(effecting the tuning).
ezfulus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daus wrote:
try changing the nut if you have more $$ or file that particular nut slot abit making it smooth or kinda slope abit(the slope angle is following the string angle towards the tuner, not otherwise).

thanks daus! i am planning to replace the nut, bridge & tuners in the near future..however, im quite kering rite now so guess ill just have to make do with the current specs huhu. erm what do you mean by not otherwise?

daus wrote:
i've experienced this similar problem before (if my guessing's right) at the same string and i've noticed that the slot kinda flat (there's no angle on the slot) & have a fine cracking line. so i file it down abit and voila, the clanking noise is gone.
but, be careful if you wanna file that slot cause you don't wanna file it too deep(causing fret buzz) or too wide(effecting the tuning).

if i post a pic of the nut slot, will it be helpful for u to determine how my slot angle currently works? my apologies yea, since the nut is one aspect of the guitar ive been neglecting to ambik tau till now so dun really know how it works and all hehehe..
cartman, eric
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezfulus wrote:
2-the locking tuner of the 3rd string is abit loose, but even after i ketatkan the skru kaw2 the tuner can still gerak2 abit. tuning stability aside, do u think this in any way affects the string?

hmm... tuner still longgar.
try holding the 3rd string tuner and play the 3rd string.

hold the tuner so that it doesnt 'gerak gerak' lah,
and also by holding it, your hands absorb any rattle.
loose parts that rattle also produce 'kreuk kreuk' sound.

i know you only have 2 hands, but try to figure out something.. Razz
cartman, eric
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezfulus wrote:
daus wrote:
try changing the nut if you have more $$ or file that particular nut slot abit making it smooth or kinda slope abit(the slope angle is following the string angle towards the tuner, not otherwise)
.... what do you mean by not otherwise?

what daus means is this.(1st diagram)

but before you try filing the nut, first try what i mentioned above.
tho nut slotting and filing is a job best left to the pros.
but since its only 1 string... and you tengah kering...
and you are planning to replace the nut in the future....
and its plastic... Wink

the diagrams below fits ur playing perfectly.
since you play the trem alot.

Stew-Mac Newsletter: Tremolo tips: staying in tune with a twang bar wrote:

When filing the nut on a tremolo guitar, I cut the slots a few thousandths larger than the diameter of the individual strings. I round the bottoms of the slots with the sidewalls angling slightly away from the strings. This allows the strings to move freely through the slots with the tremolo.

Another tip from Dan: he slightly flattens the bottom of the slot so its round shape doesn’t grip the string during tremolo use. I don’t know how he can see this kind of detail — that must be why he wears an OptiVISOR all the time!

Nut material is also something to consider. A properly slotted bone nut will work perfectly, but many builders are choosing man made materials for their smooth and slippery character.

spiderfingers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanical pencil, 2B lead.

0.5 mm, only rm 4 ringgit or so.

Rub it on all string contact points, from nut, bridge, etc.

Let the graphite flake/powders flood the nut and bridge.
ezfulus
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cartman, eric wrote:
but since its only 1 string... and you tengah kering...
and you are planning to replace the nut in the future....
and its plastic... Wink

haha..nice way of putting the msg across . ok2 i get ur point hehe..diy aka 'jahanamkan' time ey? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

spiderfingers wrote:

thanks spiderfingers! em would u mind sharing more info bout this? i mean, whats the purpose, explanation etc. cuz i certainly have never heard of this before.. Embarassed Embarassed

aite i decided its time i learned more bout maintaining guitar parts instead of forever asking around..and so i came across a couple e-books bout guitar production & repair etc. i wonder if posting the link (rapidshare) is allowed here? since this would be really2 helpful especially for noobs like me!
ultraman_cosmo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

spiderfingers wrote:
Mechanical pencil, 2B lead.

0.5 mm, only rm 4 ringgit or so.

Satu cara bangang, tapi berkesan utk aku adalah....
Pakai minyak 4T moto... hahahahhaha.
- Tu lah rahsia why my brand cap katak LP custom gua.
- pakai yg baru la, tak pasal pakai sisa hitam plak. Karang coreng muka.
- Tapi gua syorkan pakai verseline petroluem jelly.
- pakai cotton bud, letak celah celah slot nut, lap kasih kering skit.
- 4T memang cun pada brass nut gua, maklumlah besi bertemu besi nyer slot.

And Now all jazz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spiderfingers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezfulus wrote:

thanks spiderfingers! em would u mind sharing more info bout this? i mean, whats the purpose, explanation etc. cuz i certainly have never heard of this before.. Embarassed Embarassed

aite i decided its time i learned more bout maintaining guitar parts instead of forever asking around..and so i came across a couple e-books bout guitar production & repair etc. i wonder if posting the link (rapidshare) is allowed here? since this would be really2 helpful especially for noobs like me!

It's for lubrication. It prevents string getting caught in the nut and bridges during bends and vibrato with the whammy bar.

The problem with sticky nuts is that after a stretch on the string, it is not able to return to position due to getting caught at the contact points.

Graphite is a lubricant that doesn't dry up like oils and other solutions and helps to prevent string catching, which ends up sometimes hearing those weird high pitched sounds during tuning or stretching of strings.

Graphite is found in pencil leads so it's cheap, you can also scrape some off a pencil and put it in the nut and all contact points for the strings (including string retainer if you can)

I just use a mechanical pencil because it's easier and can apply it instantly between the nut string slots (smaller mm the better)
ezfulus
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aite thanks all..cartman, daus, spiderfingers & ultraman! now i at least have some ideas la on the cause of my prob and also the solutions. now i just have to pick up some courage to actually do the adjustments..especially the major ones hehehe.

anyways here is the link to the guitar maintenance e-book i mentioned before..only the basics i think, but still invaluable nevertheless!

Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/122263811/Guitar_-_Design__Production_and_Repair.pdf

link coded in true warez style. Twisted Evil Razz

Jump to: