back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Some questions about pedal power supply and Volume Pedals .. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
revolucion7
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Some questions about pedal power supply and Volume Pedals .. Reply with quote

Hey guys.. How r ya? I got a few questions..

1) I am wondering what pedal power supply are good? That won't dampen my tone and eliminate hum?

I know about the voodoo labs pedal power 2 / 2 plus .. But that's kinda expensive.

There's another type of pedal power supply that's sold at shops nearby, it's way cheaper. But I'm kinda skeptical about the quality of it.. What's the difference?

The cheap one selling at my nearby guitar shop is called "1spot Pedal Power Supply" --> http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM01/Content/Visual_Sound/PR/1-Spot.html

So what's the difference with 1spot and Voodoo Labs pedal power? I mean, they're there to supply power to few pedals at once right? Will this "1spot pedal power supply" do the trick for live gigging?

2) The only volume pedals I know around are the BOSS's FV volume pedals.. There's like FV1 , FV50, FV100, FV300 .. Low/High impendancy.. What're the differences?? Do they all actually work the same, to control the volume? What's the difference? .. And whats the diff with Low/High impendancy?

3) Is a Noise Suppressor pedal really needed? I was advised that a BOSS NS-2 pedal isn't needed if you set your effects/amp settings right. I just hate those hum when u like, pause your playing .. Yeah.. Would I be better of with, or without the Boss NS-2 pedal?

I THANK YOU GUYS! Smile
revolucion7
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And i-band-ians .. Hope you guys understand I am totally new at stompboxes .. I just hate the idea of tap dancing .. Sigh.

Maybe I could use a Boss LS-2 pedal to help me out a little with that ..?

So, if you guys have any other suggestions/advise, anything at all . Please feel free to speak away! That is, if you're free to help.

Smile
brownsound79
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSU (power supply unit) depends on how much effect you' got.. if a lot.. strongly recommend u look for another daisy chain... the BEST solution is to use PSU (power supply) for digital type efx only (like d.delay,chorus,modulation..bla..bla) and run another adapter with daisychain/or another PSU to power analog-type pedal..

squeezing to much power from single PSU sometimes will cause a bad hum or hiss sound...
ultraman_cosmo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Quote:
1) I am wondering what pedal power supply are good? That won't dampen my tone and eliminate hum?

I know about the voodoo labs pedal power 2 / 2 plus .. But that's kinda expensive.

There's another type of pedal power supply that's sold at shops nearby, it's way cheaper. But I'm kinda skeptical about the quality of it.. What's the difference?

The cheap one selling at my nearby guitar shop is called "1spot Pedal Power Supply" --> http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM01/Content/Visual_Sound/PR/1-Spot.html

So what's the difference with 1spot and Voodoo Labs pedal power? I mean, they're there to supply power to few pedals at once right? Will this "1spot pedal power supply" do the trick for live gigging?

- if u love ur expensive pedal, don go an buy the pasar malam or cheepo rm10 adapter.
- it ill cost u expensive to repair the pedal then... hahhaha.
- if u are new to this adapter thing, go for any adapter that design for guitar pedal. look for regulated adapter.
- sorry to say, dont get the crappy boss adapter, Mahal tapi cepat rosak.
- but the one came with the bcb60 that the best.
- ispot, casio, winstar dan sebagainya.
- Dipersilakan kengkawan lain menerangkan sebab article pasal adaptor ne melambak kat iband, lom gi jamtank- sorry jamtank lama dah crash.
- Aku nyer style, aku tak suka adapter ringan... biasanya cepat rosak.
- Kalo china type jalan pasar tak der brand, kalo dapat pakai 2 months tu dah kira bernasib baik, [jgn lupo beli no la pastu].

Quote:
2) The only volume pedals I know around are the BOSS's FV volume pedals.. There's like FV1 , FV50, FV100, FV300 .. Low/High impendancy.. What're the differences?? Do they all actually work the same, to control the volume? What's the difference? .. And whats the diff with Low/High impendancy?

- High impendancy volume pedal adalah for High impendancy aplication.
- as we know passive pickup adalah High impendancy itself.
- so we use this High impendancy volume rocker just after ur guitar.
- contoh high impendance output signal adalah, guitar, bass n mic.
- Low impendancy volume pedal adalah for low impendancy aplication.
- all boss effect output signal are low impendance signal so we put this low impendance volume pedal after any boss pedal.
- contoh low independance output adalah guitar with active pickup, multieffect, pedal boss [ada [edal brand lain high independance], or line out cD/ipod.
- senang cam ne, FV500H letak trus selepas guitar, and FV500H guna lepas any effect pedal.

Quote:
3) Is a Noise Suppressor pedal really needed? I was advised that a BOSS NS-2 pedal isn't needed if you set your effects/amp settings right. I just hate those hum when u like, pause your playing .. Yeah.. Would I be better of with, or without the Boss NS-2 pedal?

- there are 2 type of noise, one came out from analog circuit, and 2nd came out from digital prosesing. ill explane later...
- i can say, u ill sell your ns-2 after 2 months.. hahhahaha.
- Biasanya, noise suppresion akan cut the sustain of ur guitar signal.
- aku pernah buat experiment pasal ns-2, utk dapatkan kesan yg bagus, kita kena pakai banyak noise gate, contohnya u can reduce the noise dengan hanya 1 ns2, tapi kalo guna 2 ns2 tapi setiapnya di setkan dengan noise gate yg sikit akan dapat hasil yg sama tapi sustain lebih bagus.
- But, noise suppresion kengkadang tak buang sangat noise from the dirty channel tapi hanya berlaku masa kita tak petik the string.
- Aku tak pakai noise supression sebab lebih berpendapat mencegah lebih baik dari mengubati... hahhaha.
- Then, jangan blast the drive, or look for low noise pedal.
- guna lah teknik yg betul utk boost the drive n gain.
- rocktron hush pedal antara analog type noise gate yg bagus.
- Ns-2 lebih berkesan pada digital multiefect macam gua nyer pod n GT-8 berbanding pedal pedal boss, aku pun tak tahu kenapa?

And Now all jazz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spiderfingers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my personal advice?

Please, please please, buy a multimeter.

Very good investment.

I just discovered my cheap universal adapter is powering my 9v pedal with 13v ++ (LOADED!!!!) even though it's set at 9v. Had to set the universal adapter at 7.5v so the voltage will step down to slightly below 10v when loaded. Have only used that unit with my zoom g1 and the behringer eq700.

hhahhaa...

Luckily my zoom g1 has a resistor built-in to deal with that. (Yes i like opening up my pedals for fun)

My behringer eq700 have nothing but a diode to prevent polarity damage.

Unit still works so I guess the components could stand the voltage without getting damaged.

Learnt my lesson since, without damaging any pedals. Even if damaged, my cheap 100 ringgit behringer eq can be easily replaced.

Now got myself regulated adapters only, but they're not necessarily hum free.

The thing i notice is, multifx don't like to be chained with other standalone stompboxes... no noise also become noisy even if both units are using separate regulated adapter.

The multimeter, is your life saver, best tool to diagnose and find a crappy adapter, and also good for detecting fret buzz. heehe.
ultraman_cosmo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

spiderfingers wrote:
Well, my personal advice?

Please, please please, buy a multimeter.

Very good investment.

I just discovered my cheap universal adapter is powering my 9v pedal with 13v ++ (LOADED!!!!) even though it's set at 9v. Had to set the universal adapter at 7.5v so the voltage will step down to slightly below 10v when loaded. Have only used that unit with my zoom g1 and the behringer eq700.

hhahhaa...

Luckily my zoom g1 has a resistor built-in to deal with that. (Yes i like opening up my pedals for fun)

My behringer eq700 have nothing but a diode to prevent polarity damage.

Unit still works so I guess the components could stand the voltage without getting damaged.

Learnt my lesson since, without damaging any pedals. Even if damaged, my cheap 100 ringgit behringer eq can be easily replaced.

Now got myself regulated adapters only, but they're not necessarily hum free.

The thing i notice is, multifx don't like to be chained with other standalone stompboxes... no noise also become noisy even if both units are using separate regulated adapter.

The multimeter, is your life saver, best tool to diagnose and find a crappy adapter, and also good for detecting fret buzz. heehe.

+1

And Now all jazz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
revolucion7
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your reply.. Ultraman_cosmo I really appreciate your detailed reply..

ultraman_cosmo wrote:
- if u love ur expensive pedal, don go an buy the pasar malam or cheepo rm10 adapter.
- it ill cost u expensive to repair the pedal then... hahhaha.
- if u are new to this adapter thing, go for any adapter that design for guitar pedal. look for regulated adapter.
- sorry to say, dont get the crappy boss adapter, Mahal tapi cepat rosak.
- but the one came with the bcb60 that the best.
- ispot, casio, winstar dan sebagainya.
- Dipersilakan kengkawan lain menerangkan sebab article pasal adaptor ne melambak kat iband, lom gi jamtank- sorry jamtank lama dah crash.
- Aku nyer style, aku tak suka adapter ringan... biasanya cepat rosak.
- Kalo china type jalan pasar tak der brand, kalo dapat pakai 2 months tu dah kira bernasib baik, [jgn lupo beli no la pastu].

Bro, sebelum u reply aku dah gi beli the 1spot adapter la.. Neutral Damn.. Sorry don't really understand what u mean up there, did u mean that the "- ispot, casio, winstar dan sebagainya." is sama cam the crappy boss adapter? Mahal tapi cepat rosak? Damn.

ultraman_cosmo wrote:
- there are 2 type of noise, one came out from analog circuit, and 2nd came out from digital prosesing. ill explane later...
- i can say, u ill sell your ns-2 after 2 months.. hahhahaha.
- Biasanya, noise suppresion akan cut the sustain of ur guitar signal.
- aku pernah buat experiment pasal ns-2, utk dapatkan kesan yg bagus, kita kena pakai banyak noise gate, contohnya u can reduce the noise dengan hanya 1 ns2, tapi kalo guna 2 ns2 tapi setiapnya di setkan dengan noise gate yg sikit akan dapat hasil yg sama tapi sustain lebih bagus.
- But, noise suppresion kengkadang tak buang sangat noise from the dirty channel tapi hanya berlaku masa kita tak petik the string.
- Aku tak pakai noise supression sebab lebih berpendapat mencegah lebih baik dari mengubati... hahhaha.
- Then, jangan blast the drive, or look for low noise pedal.
- guna lah teknik yg betul utk boost the drive n gain.
- rocktron hush pedal antara analog type noise gate yg bagus.
- Ns-2 lebih berkesan pada digital multiefect macam gua nyer pod n GT-8 berbanding pedal pedal boss, aku pun tak tahu kenapa?

Tu la .. Exactly. Tapi with the Noise Gate sekarang .. At least my amp don't have the hum anymore when I tak petik the string .. Tapi when I am playing, and I suddenly stop playing and mute the strings, it will still have that half-a-second "zzzzz" before the hum/noise fade away.. Aihhhhhh... Bagaimana nih bagaimana ... I want to keep my distortion pedal..

I am fine with the noise suppressor la, I don't think i will sell so soon.. I tak main sustain cam steve vai .. So masih ok la .. tone pun masih sama bila NS-2 is on .. So , hmm ... Any comments bro?
ultraman_cosmo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Quote:
Bro, sebelum u reply aku dah gi beli the 1spot adapter la.. Damn.. Sorry don't really understand what u mean up there, did u mean that the "- ispot, casio, winstar dan sebagainya." is sama cam the crappy boss adapter? Mahal tapi cepat rosak? Damn.

Mean, ispot, casio, winstar dan [the good one aaa]sebagainya, lebih tahan berbanding boss adapter.

Aku jarang dengar 1spot adapter cepat rosak, tapi yg pastinya ia still boleh jadi noise pada sesetengah pedal.

Quote:
Tu la .. Exactly. Tapi with the Noise Gate sekarang .. At least my amp don't have the hum anymore when I tak petik the string .. Tapi when I am playing, and I suddenly stop playing and mute the strings, it will still have that half-a-second "zzzzz" before the hum/noise fade away.. Aihhhhhh... Bagaimana nih bagaimana ... I want to keep my distortion pedal..

- in this case aaa, mean the hum/noise came from the instrument not the amp. Sebabnya, kalo hum from amp noise suppresion pun takan boleh hilangkan.
- maybe adapter, maybe the distort itself, maybe dekat sangat distance dengan amp, maybe dekat sangat monitor computer, maybe itu lampo kalimantan efect, maybe shielding guitar tak bagus, atau pickup bising.
- unplug ur guitar dari amp, try pulas master volume, still humming tak?

Kengkadang orang confuse antara humming, noise dan feedback.

And Now all jazz.
brownsound79
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE BEST SOLUTION TO FIGHT NOISE IS.. use 2 power supply.. 1 for boost/gain type effects and the other 1 for color/modulation type effects..
and make sure those effe

NOT ALL pedal have same polarity..!!
spiderfingers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brownsound79 wrote:
THE BEST SOLUTION TO FIGHT NOISE IS.. use 2 power supply.. 1 for boost/gain type effects and the other 1 for color/modulation type effects..
and make sure those effe

NOT ALL pedal have same polarity..!!

Won't work if one of them is a multi-fx unit. Those units seems to cause a ground loop when paired with traditional stompboxes.

Well at least that's my personal experience and I have 2 separate adapters for them.

Cleaner than using 1 for 2 but still, running on batteries is the cleanest.
brownsound79
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use battery with GAIN/OVERDRIVE/DIST pedals.. they dont sucks batt as much as digital delay did.. Smile (really have to use PSU..!!)

p/s: GOOD PATCH CABLE PLEASE...
revolucion7
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.. Sorry have not been replying but I am still reading this topic. Very good replies Cool

brownsound79 wrote:
use battery with GAIN/OVERDRIVE/DIST pedals.. they dont sucks batt as much as digital delay did.. Smile (really have to use PSU..!!)

p/s: GOOD PATCH CABLE PLEASE...

brownsound79, betul ke GAIN/DIST/OD pedals use less battery??

Kalau NOISE SUPPRESSOR a.k. BOSS NS-2 pedal, compare with DIST/GAIN/OD pedals... Which one suck most batteries? Cause i thinking now which pedal shud i use battery for .. NS-2 or my DIST pedal..

Tapi my DIST pedal is tube distortion Sansamp Gt-2 ... So will my DIST pedal or NS-2 pedal suck more battery? Confused

p/s : I use cheap patch cable hahahaha damn... the colourful one below RM10 ones.... Embarassed mampus....
GuitarLove
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bro the patch cables make a BIG difference man... i used to use those colourful 1s... THEY SUCK!!!! sap the tone rite out of your sound man... get better 1s... i now use custom canare cables... as for adapter... i use the 1spot to power abt 10 pedals... theres boss EHX and other s stuff.. there is some weird high pitch sound but i use a rocktron hush to get rid of it... other than that the 1spot hasnt quit on my yet...
Dunlop Dime Crybaby frm Hell
Catalinbread Hyperpak
Rocktron Hush
Marshall MG30DFX
revolucion7
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarLove wrote:
bro the patch cables make a BIG difference man... i used to use those colourful 1s... THEY SUCK!!!! sap the tone rite out of your sound man... get better 1s... i now use custom canare cables... as for adapter... i use the 1spot to power abt 10 pedals... theres boss EHX and other s stuff.. there is some weird high pitch sound but i use a rocktron hush to get rid of it... other than that the 1spot hasnt quit on my yet...

Whoa serious? Damn.. Shocked

Any suggestions of patch cables? And where to get them around Klang Valley?

I saw this cable don't know what name, it's like RM20 for that damn patch cables... Is it worth it? RM20 dah boleh beli long guitar cable la.. argh
GuitarLove
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can contact a guy named simon, makes all my cables for me... they are abt 10++ a piece inclusive of head... but save a bit more n go for the neutrick or switchcraft heads... that may run u up quite a bit though...
Dunlop Dime Crybaby frm Hell
Catalinbread Hyperpak
Rocktron Hush
Marshall MG30DFX

Jump to: