back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

New song is up for bashing! « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
fish
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: New song is up for bashing! Reply with quote

New song is up for bashing. The song called "Run & Hide" by yours truly:

http://www.soundclick.com/fishmy

Appreciate your feedback especially on the structure, melody and recording quality. Enjoy!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

i like the industrial-electro feel to it..

guitar wise - during verse , the sounds just doesn't feel right.. i will listen to it again with a proper headphone and comment again later..mcm terlebih treble or tak cukup lemak..

overall good effort

drums very good lah... software ape ni? Smile

as for chorus part , maybe a backing vocals to add another layer and strength to the chorus?
fish
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro Omar, thanks for checking out. Noted on your comments. I admit that the guitar tones macam palat skit. I'm still struggling in finding the right match between what software/preamp gain setting to be used with impulse response.

Drums guna ezDrummer Pop/Rock je....
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

sound drums tenggelam semacam.

sound semua macam tak blend. ... berserabut.

thanks for the song.
Smile
fish
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okta wrote:
sound drums tenggelam semacam.

sound semua macam tak blend. ... berserabut.

thanks for the song.
Smile

haha... thank you bro. at least u r being honest. that clearly shows how much more i should learn. nanti aku cuba record something better in the future. terima kasih.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish,

akhirnya!

did you use the TS mic with its shield?i guess so, the part in the verse where u tried so hard to sound sexy saying "why" with a lot of air. kalau without pop filter, hancus sound.haha

nice!more more more...

MY-MIC Team
Ridzi
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro first of all, please don't take this in the wrong way. Please take this in a positive light okay?? Smile No offence intended Smile

I like the direction... tapi...oh your vocals are the weakest link here IMHO. It really doesn't sit well in the mix. kinda on the bassy side and kinda nasal sounding. i think you need to re-think the equalization of the vocals.

I also think that the performance of the vocals is lacking in conviction, you need to improve that and also your diction as well. It could also do away with the whining.

Your guitars tone wise .nothing spectacular... your guitars natural tone is completely gone. Surprising for someone who had some really cool guitars in his arsenal. If i had to choose, I'd use the JAzz?JB pickup'd guitar. You can get a real beefy tone with that one.

I think it has waaaaay too much gain.. too fizzy!! FIZZ MUST DIE!! A bit too high in the mix too to the point of drowning your drums.

I apologise if my comment maybe on the slightly harsh side. Again I apologise if i offended you in anyway..

Thanks for sharing!! Smile

/ridzi
fish
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY-MIC wrote:
Fish,

akhirnya!

did you use the TS mic with its shield?i guess so, the part in the verse where u tried so hard to sound sexy saying "why" with a lot of air. kalau without pop filter, hancus sound.haha

nice!more more more...

MY-MIC Team

i'm a bit malu to say this but i used my newly acquired SM57 with Perisai Embarassed . not that i ditch my TS (honestly, still my main vocal mic) but too much unwanted noise in and outside my bedroom. totally unbearable. cars driving by, anak menangis kat ruang tamu, pakcik sebelah rumah dok bertukang malam2 buta etc...

this is my 1st recording using dynamic mic and in all honesty, i like my TS better. the airy part was the most difficult one, kena tilt the SM57 around 45 degree baru kurang bunyi "woooof". pastu ada something yg dynamic tak dapek capture mcm condenser.

kalau dgn TS kacang je, takde masalah pun nak buat suara ala ala sexy tu. further, lagi banyak detail yg dia tangkap. for my next song (i have a few actually), i'll definitely use my TS and do the recording in a jamming studio.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridzi wrote:
Bro first of all, please don't take this in the wrong way. Please take this in a positive light okay?? Smile No offence intended Smile

I like the direction... tapi...oh your vocals are the weakest link here IMHO. It really doesn't sit well in the mix. kinda on the bassy side and kinda nasal sounding. i think you need to re-think the equalization of the vocals.

I also think that the performance of the vocals is lacking in conviction, you need to improve that and also your diction as well. It could also do away with the whining.

Your guitars tone wise .nothing spectacular... your guitars natural tone is completely gone. Surprising for someone who had some really cool guitars in his arsenal. If i had to choose, I'd use the JAzz?JB pickup'd guitar. You can get a real beefy tone with that one.

I think it has waaaaay too much gain.. too fizzy!! FIZZ MUST DIE!! A bit too high in the mix too to the point of drowning your drums.

I apologise if my comment maybe on the slightly harsh side. Again I apologise if i offended you in anyway..

Thanks for sharing!! Smile

/ridzi

This is what I expect to receive when I post up this song. No offence taken, in fact I applaud this kinda constructive comment. A lot better than just "Messy!" Twisted Evil.

Noted on the vocal performance. On the production, I used "Warm & Clean" preset in Gearbox and slapped in Waves' Ultramaximizer with Sonitus' default reverb. Maybe some EQing will make it a better. I'll try to improve my diction and do away with the whining. I thought a lil' bit of whining makes the song sexy. No huh? Twisted Evil

On the guitar tones, I know this is your familiar field. Actually, I used my Schecter C-1 Classic which is equipped with JB/Jazz for this one! Shocked . I know who are the culprits: wrong selection of preamp/gain setting + wrong IR. Anyway, all guitar lines were quad-tracked. For "Guitar 1" (panned 100% left) and "Guitar 2" (80% right), I recorded the dirty signal thru preamp gain setting in Gearbox (without cabs) and put in ENGL v30 impulse response (high presence) by using keFIR. For "Guitar 3" (hard right) and "Guitar 4" (80% left), I used my so-called "In Flames" preset in Gearbox (no impulse).

The dirty signals of the intro solo lines were also recorded without cabs. For "Intro 1" (hard left) and "Intro 1a" (37% right), I put in "JJ Powertube" impulse. "Intro 2" (hard right) and "Intro 2a", I used ENGL Pro 4X12 (SM57 center mic position) impulse.

Just tell me that I have sucky guitar tones. I can live with it. Haha. For the past few weeks, I was hyped up when I discovered this IR thingy and tried to give it a shot. In my pursuit of that chugga-chugga tone, admittedly I'm still groping in the dark on what software/preamp to pair with IR (besides Gearbox, I have Amplitube 2, Amplitube Jimi Hendrix, Nick Crow's Simple Guitar Combo & Wagner Sharp, Voxengo Boogex, Aradaz Amp etc), the right preamp setting and the IR itself. It's all about the right combo. One thing that I just learned is to reduce the amount of gain as it will be quad-tracked anyway. Do you have any suggestion on this? That will be extremely useful to me in my next project. Anyway, I'll keep on reading my subscribed forums and try to turn it from sucky to tasty.

Secretly, I've been admiring your guitar works and huzai's. I've been wanting to to ask u guys the recipe but malu la bang Embarassed . Nanti turunkan ilmu skit boleh?

Again bro, I appreciate your observations on my song a lot. So, no apology is necessary. In fact, a big THANK YOU from me to u is more appropriate Cool
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secret is not that much of a secret really... the guitar is a mid-ranged frequency instrument... Mid-range is good!! don't scoop it out...

A lot of guitarists make the mistake of scooping their sound too much to the point that it loses 'body'

That's why I love parametric equalizers, I can target the exact frequencies i want to cut or boost, and customize my tone to my liking.

2. The more gain you use, the less note definition you get... and it kinda masks the guitar's tone itself

3. Your drum track could do with a healthy dose of compression so it cuts-through the mix.

4. I used to quad-track too Twisted Evil but it was a fad actually..well for me at least.. you dont really need to do this to get a big huge sound... as a matter of fact you can achieve this just with one track each side. Just dont pan each track 100%. Crossfade each track a little. perhaps in the 60%-80% region so that 20%-40% of each track overlaps each other.. quadtracking complicates mixing. Stick to the K.I.S.S. school of thought.

Thanks for listening to my music... It's a shame i don't get much time to do proper finished songs these days. busy with work and all. Sad

/ridzi

Last edited by Ridzi on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Ridzi
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW what is this IR thingy you are talking about??? Razz
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

i think the impulse thingy is some sort of a compression/reverb thing

anyways ya , as for the guitar tone - i find it with UX2 - keep it simple as possible.. 2 tracks the most pan 60-70% left and right

try mix down that first and level it and see how it sounds like..for some reasons the factory settings is good enough for me , didn't need to tweak it at all - and i'm using tele with stock pups je..

give it a try lah
MY-MIC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish,

PERISAI rules!haha

from our experience (konon banyak la ni), we let our sound engineers do their thing and our song writers do their thing. 1st step, write a good song with good arrangements (musical and vocals), then get the sound engineer to help find the right sounds. After several years and lots of hard work, we are able to combine both skills into one. Hence the name MY-MIC Team. Our mixes are far from perfect but it's presentable.

http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/bands/3379/music.php

it's really hard to focus and be good at everything. it's really great that our friends in i-bands are really supportive when it comes to helping out and sharing knowledge!

good luck and looking forward to hearing your next works with the TS.

MY-MIC Team
huzai
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angsakawan
Angsakawan

halu bro, ko kan yang dalam ultimatemetal tu~

aku takde ape nak komen la bro, orang lain dah cakap dah, just nice song, tambah satu part cam bridge ke, break ke ape, lagi cun brader~

macam banyak je ko nye impulses, mane dapat? share lah.. hehe
aku pakai jugak ENGL v30 mula2, but then aku jumpa Broohym(ntah betui dak ejaan dia) punya mesa boogie impulses lagi cun(bagi aku la)

btw, ko off tak kat keFIR punya Dry?
Ridzi
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY-MIC wrote:
Fish,

PERISAI rules!haha

from our experience (konon banyak la ni), we let our sound engineers do their thing and our song writers do their thing. 1st step, write a good song with good arrangements (musical and vocals), then get the sound engineer to help find the right sounds. After several years and lots of hard work, we are able to combine both skills into one. Hence the name MY-MIC Team. Our mixes are far from perfect but it's presentable.

http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/bands/3379/music.php

it's really hard to focus and be good at everything. it's really great that our friends in i-bands are really supportive when it comes to helping out and sharing knowledge!

good luck and looking forward to hearing your next works with the TS.

MY-MIC Team

Hmnn the TS sounds pretty sweet. where can I get one???

Jump to: