back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

[Memories In My Head] mono lo-fi minimal « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
johnno k
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: [Memories In My Head] mono lo-fi minimal Reply with quote

hi-fi stream
http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/stream.php?mode=song_hifi&band_id=566&song_id=1411

lo-fi stream
http://www.i-bands.net/audiovault/stream.php?mode=song_lofi&band_id=566&song_id=1411

Someone wanna help lay a few pointers? Still a work in progress so there's a lot of things to be done on this track, but that preview should at least let you know where it's generally heading. I'm thinking of adding some more guitars in there, and I'm also interested in having some female vocals in it - Kluk Kluk Adventure maybe? Smile

Let's not talk about the panning and the peak levels and clicks/audio clipping, I'm aware of it hehe. This tune was started yesterday afternoon [Sept 5th] which means it's less than 50% anywhere near finished. I need feedback!

PS - not sure if you guys like trip hop, but I haven't done that genre in a while so it's still a little fresh. I guess if you're into portishead/massive attack then you'd probably like this kind of tune. Oh, and yeah it's pretty paramount to play this tune on a good hi-fi system or high end speakers with good frequency response, as I'm sure it needs it hehe.

BTW- I've been reposting the updates to the song frequently, so keep checking it for the changes, some are minute, some are big and noticeable, but nonetheless there are constant changes.[/b]
karbaid
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi... i've heard your previous tracks. you're more into drum & bass + ambient stuffs such as 4 hero's two pages, & even peshay from metalheadz.
about your new track... personally, i can't describe that as a pure trip hop music such as portishead, massive attack, primal scream, lhooq & i think you're accidentally influenced by a trip hop band called morcheeba. hhahaa...
the samples for that track is more sounds like a drum & bass outfit called 4 hero. if you're into portishead... you have to listen more on their albums especially on DUMMY album (1994). i suggest that you need more sound samples taken from the 60's era such as moaning organs & swelling 60's strings, dark mellow orchestra , subtle jazz flavor & Beth Gibbons. hahahaaa... yup. you still need a female vocalist to do a throat.
so... keep it on. jalan terusssss....

- banjoe
johnno k
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed some more glitches, still working on compressor hell. Adjusted the attack on a few things. More knob tweaks. Still has annoying bitchy pops n' clicks. Loooong way to go Surprised
Gabardine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i downloaded voices when we sleep. That song kicks ass..you really got a talent for that stuff. Keep the good music rolling.
johnno k
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot man. I appreciate the feedback, it's just the kind of thing that spurs me on to do more hehe.
Gabardine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries mate, its good stuff. You have a cd of your stuff lying around? I'd like to get a copy.

btw: east malaysia's a big place. Sabah or Sarawak?
johnno k
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, I just have stuff in digital format but not alot of people have heard much, cept friends but they don't like to listen to this kinda stuff. Was planning to do a demo or at least get a cd done somewhere but I've been procrastinating for a long time. Hopefully I'll get nudged into the right direction and do something about it. I don't think they have any netlabels in Malaysia, or maybe I just haven't looked around enough. I wouldn't mind making a cd, except the fact that I have alot of songs that don't fit into categories + the cd will end up being a mixture of genres. Have you got any stuff on cd yet?

Oh, I'm in Sabah [for the moment]. Travelling shouldn't be a problem though as I alternate to KL once in a while.

PS - anyone know of a way to get rid of clicks in sound forge without using the pencil and drawing it? I mean like selecting an area so it draws on both channels? It's kinda tedious to do it per channel.
Gabardine
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we should get together then one of these days, im in KK, tanjong Aru.
johnno k
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh lol, yeah that'd be great. Gotta find some free time first hehe. Hey, what software/hardware/gear are you all using anyway? Oh and also computer specs/OS for those sequencing on the computer.
Gabardine
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, you should listen to my stuff first. I appreciate your sortof music but im more of a guitar thrashing dude. Anyway, my equipment is erm..an old ibanez S470 which they dont make anymore, changed the pickups to an LP 57', behringer pre-amp/DI box, a matched pair of APex condensor mics and a few dynamics, all sorts of guitar effects; Ibanez Tube Screamer, line 6 POD cab emulator, Fender Telecaster with EMG pickups (not sure which ones, bought it used but theres a battery inside there), a four track mixer and a cock-up Yamaha bass. AS for computers, i just deal with recorded samples, i use Adobe Audition(thank you bit-torrent) to do mixing/compression/eqing and mastering. I use the multi-channels tracks to place my recorded digitals. i have no idea as to how to use midi. Very Happy
Oh yeah, im in Australia at the moment, but im going back to KK permanently after i come back from India(under UN) next year. You gonna be around?
Ridzi
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabardine wrote:
hehe, you should listen to my stuff first. I appreciate your sortof music but im more of a guitar thrashing dude. Anyway, my equipment is erm..an old ibanez S470 which they dont make anymore, changed the pickups to an LP 57', behringer pre-amp/DI box, a matched pair of APex condensor mics and a few dynamics, all sorts of guitar effects; Ibanez Tube Screamer, line 6 POD cab emulator, Fender Telecaster with EMG pickups (not sure which ones, bought it used but theres a battery inside there), a four track mixer and a cock-up Yamaha bass. AS for computers, i just deal with recorded samples, i use Adobe Audition(thank you bit-torrent) to do mixing/compression/eqing and mastering. I use the multi-channels tracks to place my recorded digitals. i have no idea as to how to use midi. Very Happy
Oh yeah, im in Australia at the moment, but im going back to KK permanently after i come back from India(under UN) next year. You gonna be around?

A Fender Tele with active pickups?? Hmnnnn interesting....
Gabardine
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, active pickups but its only good for acoustics. More than minimal distortion just muddies the sound. Hmm..maybe because its a semi hollow. ANyway, it came with a nice tweed hard case, and that was what actually caught my eye. For a meager 100 ozzie (240), i got me a mexican tele semi hollow with a really really nice tweed hardcase (for my beautiful Ibanez ofcourse, the tele can sleep in the made in china case)

*look at ibanez* arent you just beautiful, yes you are.
adam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

hehe brodah....brodahh..... (Angry Beavers)
johnno k
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, "are you gonna do..or no" Razz
Gabardine
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey johnno, can you add me on msn? woodendog@hotmail.com
Need your expert advice on composing some string sections. Very Happy
Cheers!

Jump to: