back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

my honest opinion « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
browndog2woof
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: my honest opinion Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

fretted bros,

long time no see ya... been letting loose many things. today i just wish to touch over a topic that might ring a bell! dah lama tarak tulis...

setting up guitars
most of my friends do set up their guitars at many places and by various people. i have no intention of spoiling other peoples business but you, as an owner and player, you deserve to know all this. aku consider your guitar has a proper construction from a reliable manufacturer ya..

a) what do we really mean of setting up? for the sake of polishing and tukar tali aje, spray a few 'pssst' spray here and there, lupa kan... they consist of

- neck, the truss rod part. some truss rod don't really sit properly in the slot. it is best to get it done while they are strung. get the 5th position. some may capo at the 1st fret, but tak really perlu if you know how. just get a desired height that has a minimum gap as possible. the closer and straight, they intonate better.. always loose the rod slightly a quater turn and tighten them back to the desired position

- set the trem tilt/float angle nicely. floyds has a steady anchor, strats and some older gibson type don't (mostly on archtops like charlie christian or L series. they have wooden saddles and smaller anchors sitting on a wooden bridge). always have a steel ruler with you. they might come in handy. check at the 12th fret, adjust the saddles for strat/anchor for les paul type/ anchor for floyd. use the ruler touching at the fretwires of the 1st and bottom E. they must have the same height accordingly the neck radius... balanced them up the best you can and able.

- neck pocket tilt angle. ok, ini really tricky sikit. please prepare shims 2 or 3 pieces, just in case. get this mostly on a sturdy black paper that is mostly used on fender parts internal packaging or similar. get a puncher to hole things up. get the perfect tilt that will not choke the string and must have that 'mojo' vibe ringing tone and body sound...

- tuners and rulers can't help here. they can only assist you. your ears are the ultimate weapon, acoustic test ya.. if you can't do this, let a pro like gg to help ya.. a good piano tuner use their ear to tune like 'kassim selamat' in one of p ramlee's movie. he is a blind man who has good ears. he is blinded out of frustration.

- nut slot. again use the ruler, balanced the height of each strings buy measuring from the 1st fret to the bottom of the strings. one by one. don't rush bro... get a goot micro files from a specific hardware sore like ace hardware etc. etc.

- this will also be applicable to strat type of saddles. tele ada kerja susah sikit but NOT imposibble with compensated type. accuracy still tak 100% but your fingers might do some adjusting like flamenco and classical players. habis anchored gibson and floyd macam mana?

- sini bermula lah 'cat dog' cartoon punya cerita.. fixing a strat 7.25 radius neck with a 12 radiused floyd bole fit ka? noticed that some floyd rose are staggered. if not, shim work on the bridge on the locking part attached to the trem body might need some adjustment. kasi pro buat la...

- same goes to gibson type of saddles (tune-a-matic or whatever), you need some of the x files work.. kasi pro la.. you can't afford costly mistake. you end up selling the damaged bridge kat forum pulak..

- conclusion, the neck postion must be able to produce a good acoustic ringing sound, when attached to the body. they must have the violin type of tilt angle, as a reference but not choking the strings. i've seen a concave neck angle on a set neck guitar. got to do some massive work to put them in place... aiyo, banyak karja la..

- what to listen for? treble, mid and body. the construction must be in perfect order. wrong placement and alignment will result a problem guitar. how chronic is the problem will be based on the track record of the manufacturer or builder/assembler pon another thing ya..

- remember, all slots and filing work must have an angle for the string to have a good sitting position and to move smoothly. then you might be able to do a good intonation work easily.. nanti aku cerita later la pasal buat intonation ya, banyak budak buat intonation hancos, i'm sorry to say this! and also, tight and firm assembly or work is needed! cincai fellas can get lost! your guitar will be butchered by them.. mau ka?

b) setting the pickups...

- again, still too convinced with the killer advertisment? getting a good sound is a packaged from the players effort and to his chain of setup... bukan main hantam beli aje! buy a set of pickups that matches you guitar well la bro, you might get lucky guessing sometimes, BUT not all the time ya..

- to me, if your guitar is lacking of treble, get the ones to balanced things out. same thing goes with mid or bass. pickups manufacturer will have a certain chart or pointer to help. sound clip pom ada, but get too easily be bought ya. the amp and guitar that they use for the demo is also important man.

- assembly is quite easy, but setting and tuning will make you work your ears. are you ready for all of this? hmmmm, here is the most tricky part lies. can you really hear the 'string pull' or 'oscillation' sound? if you tweak the modulation pedals, you might hear some wave and oscillation, but not the 'string pull'... this is what i'm talking about.

- too close with the magnet - your strings won't flow freely, there's a magnectic flux and magnectic force that pulls the string. there's an optimum sound and height for these, but you must trust your ears, again. many people might have problem listening to treble and bass level played on the guitar. 12th fretted note on 1st E must produce the same level as for the 6th E. if your guitar setup tadi 'kantoi', means all of these will go along with it. later, you can balanced out front and bridge ya...

- too far with the magnet? no NRG la.. best to get a good bottom. not overdoing buy buying too high output and too equalised pickup. you might loose some acoustic here.. a good guitar won't need all these. they just need a well balanced tone transfer type of pickups. most of them are quite low output, say 4 - 7k reading. if you are playing metal, why scarifice you goon reasonable guitar tone when you can squash your gain on amp or pedals? kalo degil gak, pakai la 24k reading punya pickups, no volume pot straight to jack! baru hensem!

- strings has their own tonal character too! i like daddario for their mids and treble and ernie ball for a good body and zinggy treble. they sure help you to get the right tones for the right guitars. older ghs are awesome sounding too! but this a free country, choose what you feel is best for you. jangan la pakai nylon string kat js 1 ko dah!

- as for electronics, used a graded type on the wires, pots, switches and jacks. get a phillip 60/40 solder iron, ceramic tip, a 25/40 watts good gun and the soldering paste. kalo kat sini pon fail, aku tak tau la... pakai la wayar lampu nak wiring guitar ko tu...

- so enjoy ya... i do honestly want you to have a proper guitar to play. i'm not getting cut and paste info or from a fairy tale dooly.. i'm just sharing things up with you guys. i'm sorry that i may not an expert to convey my advise on to these works perfectly in sentences but to those who have amere expeience and understanding about guitars will be able to visualised what i'm saying.

and also, i don't do this for a living but i can do what i said above for you. provided that you are willing and ready to pay a hefty price.. aku sure sengat punya 'kaw kaw' nye!.. try me!.. ha ha ha! better find somebody that you can 'lowball' cheap so that 'lowballers' sound will come out.

remember, this got nothing to do with your playing. but a not properly setup guitar will surely won't be able to perform perfectly. goodluck boys and gals..

woof!
spiderfingers
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice info but we want more.

I would want to go as far as refretting my own axe as well.

Since many probably own guitars under 1k.. and I personally own one under 600 ringgit so it's not worth refretting.

A DIY refretting would be awesome. I've collected the proper tools already, just short of fret wire (i don't want precut wires) and some other tools for dressing the frets.

I have a flat file mini set but would love to get my hands on fret files. Currently only option is to order from stewmac but if there're any malaysian luthier supplies that would be awesome as well.

So far all the so called 'luthier' suppliers in Malaysia are a joke, they just supply guitar parts, not tools needed to cut fret wires, tangs and fret dressing files.

Any jalan for the fret dressing tools in Malaysia?
browndog2woof
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

spiderfingers wrote:
Nice info but we want more.

I would want to go as far as refretting my own axe as well.

Since many probably own guitars under 1k.. and I personally own one under 600 ringgit so it's not worth refretting.

A DIY refretting would be awesome. I've collected the proper tools already, just short of fret wire (i don't want precut wires) and some other tools for dressing the frets.

I have a flat file mini set but would love to get my hands on fret files. Currently only option is to order from stewmac but if there're any malaysian luthier supplies that would be awesome as well.

So far all the so called 'luthier' suppliers in Malaysia are a joke, they just supply guitar parts, not tools needed to cut fret wires, tangs and fret dressing files.

Any jalan for the fret dressing tools in Malaysia?

the word 'we'?

try gg pro shop.. they have all the tools. they are really skilled professionals. (there are others too, but gg pro shop is one good example when it comes to results) they, i mean the tools, are costly if you want to invest. the most important thing if you want to refret is to have these in your mind

- fret bender
- groove/tang trimmer
- radius block
- crowning tool
- fret slot saw
- cutter/trimmer
- and lots of skill and experience

have you ever refret any neck bro? if you do, that's great.

1) fret removing skills
it's easier to remove frets on rosewood than maple. (you will know my point if you have done it before) you must have the talent with heating treatment using solder to get them out nicely without damaging the fret slot. moving out the fretwires must have patients.

2) fret slot must match the groove tang. using fret bender to have a good radius that fits. too deep of the fret slot will kill the tone because there is NO good contact of the tang to the bottom surface. this is the most common lousy refretted job that i've seen around. as a result, there are dead spots on certain area where there is a gap on the fret slot. when they are loose, this loonies will put glues too adhere... that's why some refretting job are cheap... fits lowballers right? your tone are sacrificed. get it?!

3) radius sanding block must be used to refine the existing surface if there are lumps, bumps or rising tounge detected. there's a rule to the sanding work ya.. you can't simply sands things out away. these are common work.

4) fitting the fret wires can be done by
- using a fret press
- using the traditional method.. hammer job. i prefer this because you can get the feel of its contact.

5) before you start anything, the neck must be reset to a good position. this is to confirm that you are on the right track, straight and firm, to avoid the frets to be heavily redressed.. and extra/massive fret leveling and crowning work.. OMG, i've seen this a lot!

6) choose a good fret wires (stu mac has good nickle content, my preference to the tone) and proper tools before you start. if you think that you want to enjoy this, order what you need at stu mac.. this will be the opposite from your string theory topic, more time and money is involved.

oh, btw 'luthiers' do invent some tools to help them but their core business is build and sell guitars, not tools. for example, mr. dan erlweine, he came up with great ideas but the rest are inherited. stewart macdonalds supplied a good number of major tools for 'luthiers' but when it comes to cnc machines and automation, others will come in..

just call me when you are free. bring your guitar along. let the work do the talking, you can benefit out of this. whatever..

woof!

Last edited by browndog2woof on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
eddy_mata
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha "wayar lampu".
saya penah kena sound pasal wayar lampu ni dgn gg masa pakai strat merah dulu.

"skru rumah" pun penah kena. hehehehe
Kozam
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info..x yah ler self destruct lak yer...hehehe
http://www.youtube.com/kurtkozam

Fender Stratocaster >macam macam ada> amp

Jump to: