back to main area

i-bands.net [READ ONLY MODE]
Articles  Articles   FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

zoom mrs-8 portable multi track recorder - i just got one... « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
silbi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: zoom mrs-8 portable multi track recorder - i just got one... Reply with quote

peeps

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/mrs8/index.php

i just got myself the abovesaid gadget, its sorta an 8 tracker machine with built in drum and bass machine - kinda cool....pasal aku miskin, beli 2nd hand je benda ni...helluva lot cheaper than retail price i tell ya.

(aku call ck tadi - RRP now is RM1700!!! giler sume music punya barang dah mahal siot coz of the fule prices and exchange rate!)

Tapi 2nd hand punya barang standard lah, it has a bit of scratches her and there. But the best part is that, it still has CK music's warranty until year end...hahaha...i am a happy dude!!

liked it coz it uses SD Card, which is common and cheap...the lower model for this machine (a 4 tracker, RM780) uses Smart Media card which is darm expensive.

so i got a sr card toshiba 512mb to use with it, beli kat lowyat for rm90 je. tapi kena be wary of the memory card brands lah coz it dont except all brands...toshiba, transcend ok kot...

Iactually if u buy mrs-8 new, u'd get a 128mb with it...tapi 128mb tu kecik sgt...aku rasa satu lagu record dah full kot

Reason i prefer to use a portable recorder like this is because i find it too much of a hassle to use the PC lah...my PC very not so friendly to me...hehe

anyways, anyone has this machine too? aku baru start tweak semalam je...and as usual, the drum function kasi gua pening...haha...still, dah boleh start record 2, 3 track dah and it sounds nice.

A great thing is that this baby has built in mic and accepts xlr too, has built in guitar and vox effects which can be utilised in the absence of proper effects...

ok..aku nak try tweak lagi ni...

aku cita2 nak guna menatang ni masa buat live recording for a small band...tapi tak sure camno...still looks possible...lu orang tgk spec dia, ingat boleh ke?

still, sesapa ada - do share yer tips...
Bode
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase bro! You'll have lotsa fun making music...towards the production of your 'Silbi's Rising Force' Smile

I think synthdude will be the best person to comment on this...he is a diehard hardware user and probably has tried pretty much everything on the market Smile
Anyway...where's synthdude? Havent seen much of him lately...probably renewing his contract with Mr. Devil...Twisted Evil
deadzid
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

whoaa cool!
boleh try bawak gi jamming ni..
record live!
> mockspecial.com
silbi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for info - the price for this last dec new was rm1300...now it has rised to rm1700...giler tuu

gua el-cheapo brat...pantang nampak benda macam murah bantai je beli...and for this, i think i've made the right choice...coz i'd saved tons of $ than getting it brand new. syukur2...

dari zaman dulu lagi memang cite2 nak ada multi-track system...tascam ke apa ke...hehe...now mission dah accomplish...tak yah pakai DAT, or tape...now memory card is the way to go! Nxt would be a Hard disk system...

sapa nak tolak SD card 1GB murah2 sound aku...aku nak beli..hehe...

seriously, i'm a happy camper with this pup cume yg aku bosan, aku memang blur bab2 programmiing ni...

orait...nak baca manual lagi ni...nasib baik hari ni gua cuti...
jengofett
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you mate..

i was in the same boat last time... I found it much easier to record in a multi track, dulu aku contemplating either the zoom or the boss, at the end i got me a boss 900cd... price wise diffrent la tapi i got it at ishibashi Japan so murah la...
this zoom is a no brainer la... best is the simple route.
record->Mix- EQ -->>mastering ... all in one. aku dah try this baby masa tu ck offer 1.2K... but entah apasal I choose the boss...

sound wise it really can produce a "CD/Radio" type of sound if proper eq was done. one thing which is easier that it does not have the "Crash" Syndrome...

My mode is Multi Track ---> PC in Wave format --- for Mastering

enjoy your toy
silbi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...hardware multi track machine are easy to some extent...but maybe to twaek effects futher, better still use the pc...so i'm sure i'm gonna do both.

you bought online from japan? hwo was the shipping fee? tax? etc?

yeah...the boss is always a better toy to some extent...coz if i have the dough id' prob go for boss...but it seems that even over here a 4 tracker boss costs a lot more than an 8 track zoom...dunno why?

moral of the story - if u r sengkek always go for zoom...hehe...

hmm...it seems most of my effects are now zoom-based. now i got a 505II, 707II and this new baby...zoom zoom all the way for me...

anyways, it seems that ur familliar with the zoom or multi track machines in general...so i might need you advice someday...coz i'm the type who sometimes could get lost with even the simplest stuff but excel in some complex stuff...hehe

tadi i managed to record 5 tracks...sounds neat...but the drum part still boring lah coz i only use one same pattern throughout. Hope i could do some complex pattern change soon.

enjoy your toy too mate!
jengofett
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yerp,

well i am no expert in the matter but still belajar gak lah. i cant seem to coordiante myself with this pc thingy. dulu ada itu tascam porta 4 track ...easy lah tapi bouncing quality was eating up all data.

aku tak beli on line .. aku gi sana ari tu mtg jap... ok gak...choices there was tremendous .... sana kalau kaki synth tu gila la sebab murah... aku ghi kat branch dia kat shibuya osaka... kedai besar gila ada kot 2 x bently.

the learning curve for zoom is much simpler due to its functionality... the guy in ck ...jaya taught me on the zoom item....

for drum tracks kalo ko tengok boss pergh pening gila sebab 1 button can assign to multi function (That is the set back for the "mini multitrack' but still it is easier than the pc (imo)... well aku pon dah dekat setahun ada benda ini masih terkial kial belajar ....

Deadzid
I tried to use it in live recording the only setback was only two input at a time .... so kalu kao ada banyak input still there is a need for a Mixer la. Tapi kalau nak get that raw effect ambience using the on board condenser mic pun cukup.
deadzid
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod Squad
Mod Squad

ala apa susah, beli je mixer kecik Behringer yg 8 or 12 input tu pun dah cukup.. then connect to your multi-track recorder.

beli recorder mahal2, takkan mixer RM250 - rm400 takleh beli? hehe racun2...
> mockspecial.com
jengofett
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beli recorder mahal2, takkan mixer RM250 - rm400 takleh beli? hehe racun2... = C*b*t ahak ahak ahak
Laughing

btw silbi ko boleh join the Zoom yahoo groups. email dia zoommrs8@yahoogroups.com lots of info there.
silbi
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha...

kat forum lowyat.net ada mamat tu nak jual mixer behringer baru for 300+ je...check it out. looks ok though but no power lah.

mixer aku dah ada, beli setahun lepas...sekenhen gak...got em quite cheap. ada 2 bijik lagi..macam mana aku boleh terbeli sampai 2 bijik aku pun tak tahu...aku mmg mental. ekeke....maybe gua ni collector.

satu selalu pakai satu lagi dalam storeroom...

Both are 8 channel powered mixers...satu brand Phonic, satu lagi Artek - rupa, power lebih kurng sama. I'm sure they're a lot better than those cap ayam ones in jalan pasar.

so i think i might try to utilise these to record live...tapi bila masa pun tak tahu...nak angkut benda2 ni berat gak siot...haha

so, with those stuff, u think easy to use with the recorder? the config, etc? any links, do advice.

btw - u said boleh pakai built in mic utk record live -but wont that be in mono? i presume a stereo mic would be better...so i dunno whether the built in is mono or stereo...

anyways, thx for the link man! cargas gua mahu layan...
OneMB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadzid wrote:
ala apa susah, beli je mixer kecik Behringer yg 8 or 12 input tu pun dah cukup.. then connect to your multi-track recorder.

beli recorder mahal2, takkan mixer RM250 - rm400 takleh beli? hehe racun2...

Guys, I'm just wondering

macam mana nak connect mixer biasa dengan multi-track recorder?
via RCA line-in multi track recorder? atau via TRS/XLR mic input multi track recorder?

kalau dari RCA mixer biasa, record ke RCA Multi Track Recorder, tak de signal lost ke?

Contoh macam jengofett punya Boss BR-900CD ada RCA line in dan 2 XLR MIC in
Nak guna line mane satu yang sesuai?
XLR tulis je guna utk mic, tapi guna XLR untuk line-in bolehkan?

Last edited by OneMB on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
omarjamaludin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin
Site Admin

wah pening..dah try RCA tape out (mixer) ke RCA (tapiin (recorder)ke? rasanya okay kot..
OneMB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm
RCA line out analog mixer ke RCA line-in Multi Track Recorder
kalau macam tu sound ok tak?

memang pening berfikir tentang line out sana cucuk line in sini
berserabut berfikir
kadang˛ sampai kena lukis atas kertas tentang sambungan yang sesuai Smile
silbi
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno much about the boss, but for my zoom, rasanya takde tape-in (aku tak sure pulak).

Yg ada cuma line in, tapi tak tahu stereo or mono. Yg aku tahu if stereo have to use two mono inputs.

1. intruments to mixer or mics
2. connected to external mixer
3. external mixer tape out to recorder (use the two mono input for stereo kot)
4. tekan record - voila!

ada betul?

signal loss? ada kot, so try to use better shielding cables...
silbi
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good read here i hope...difference between portable multi track vs PC based...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onemusic/recording/homeequipp04.shtml

Jump to: